Thread: Opinion from the board 68 911

Opinion from the board 68 911

This is a regular 911 from 1968, obviously restores, maybe even over-restored (rear houndstooth seats for example), but still quite nice. Numbers matching (per Kardex). I'm considering buying it, asking $22K. Is this too much dough, even in todays market?
    A few things are clearly wrong or missing (fog lights, bumper trim, steering wheel, front windshield frame, shift knob,etc)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Henry

A couple more
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Henry

If all the hard to find 68 bit and pieces are there and nice +1.
    If the paint is nice +1. Why the overspray on engine mat and decklid hinges? Are the cowels painted? Decklid receiver bolts painted?
    I would not hesitate to buy an "orginal" 68 and keep the RG 68.
    Have you seen the car in person?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

I'll be seeing it next week. Cowls do look painted, easy fix. I'll take more pictures then.
    Henry

The things that you all ready know would take ~1000 to correct with nice pieces.

Other things that I see are the signal lens is fadded and I think the side deco rubber is shrunk so it likely needs all deco rubbers.
    Grill is wavey and nozzles are black.

A paint shop that leaves that much overspray likely does not do the best work IMHO.

This car seems to have been touched everywhere by someone other then the factory.

I am not sure if there is anything particularly valuable about a sunroof 68 but I would expect 2-5K to sort through the issues seen in the pics.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

SWB Value

Henry,

I've been looking for a nice, solid, SWB for at least a year-one at a reasonable price. There are many detailed things wrong with the car-just from looking at the picture-that don't bode too well: previosly pointed out overspray, missing trim, wrong mats, etc. However IF this is a never wrecked, solid, no rust car with original engine, original color paint and the sunroof (very rare) is original to the car, IMHO the price is in the general ballpark. Body is key key key and after that missing bits and mechanical-of course.

If it checks out and you don't decide to buy it PM me. Thanks.

-Allen-

You certainly couldn't restore one for the asking price. For me it would come down to the quality of what they started with, and the quality of the work that's been done.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

I kinda like the houndstooth in the rear
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Always nice to hear the collective wisdom of the board, thanks.

I will see it Tuesday and will try and post more pictures.
    Henry