Thread: Koni dilemma !!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Koni dilemma !!!

OK, I thought I've read all about this on this board and Pelican's but ... I've run into something that's baffling me...

After having them replaced by the second owner in 1986 I fingered it was time to put new shocks on the old blue car...

The car came with the S Koni option ... so instead of changing to Bilstein struts I thought I'd stick with Koni and go with the 'new' gas sport yellow shocks. After looking in the Performance catalog I ordered what I thought was the right pair and Richard and I dug into the job. The rears were no problem, however when it was time to install the fronts we came up against a crazy mismatch...The old and new top retaining cap nut were completely different...

The rough dimensions are:

Old nut
    Total thread dim. - 52.8mm
    new - 50.0mm

Thread - fine
    new - course

Thread depth - 9.5mm
    new 7.5mm

Inside cup dim - 36mm
    new - 39mm

Performance does not seem to have have a cup that I can adapt...

It would seem that if I increased the old cup dim. by 3mm and reused it I could get away with the install ...

I would post a picture but there something wrong with the board right now...

Where's Jason from Paragon when you need him...

Help
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter