Thread: lack of back pressure in muffler

lack of back pressure in muffler

What , if any, problems could a muffler with reduced / no back pressure cause to a stock MFI engine?
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Quote Originally Posted by james
    What , if any, problems could a muffler with reduced / no back pressure cause to a stock MFI engine?

Most likely it'd lead to people following you suffering from sore eyes and petrol vapour inhalation symptoms

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Philip gives you a clue to why I ask the question

my stock style stainless muffler has been getting louder over the past couple of months & I'm pretty sure the baffles are loose.

The car is running really well but is throwing out some unburnt petrol fumes ( those following have complaigned of stinging eyes ).

I didn't know wether the two might be related?
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Fumes

Hi

I had a similar problem with my car. It also was very smelly and even though the MFI pump was freshly rebuilt I was unable to lean out the mixture enough. I decided that it may be the injectors not atomising the fuel correctly thus not burning fully, so always giving you the impression it was running rich when in fact it was running weak. A new set of injectors has fixed the problem, the pump adjustment now leans out the emissions and no more stinging eyes, hope this is some help.

Kind Regards John
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

John,

Sorry for the thread hi-jack - but a bunch of us DDK'ers are heading Cumbria way for a drive around the roads - 12th November - would be nice to see another early car

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496

Blast

Hi Philip

PM you.

John
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

thanks

I'm going to get the car serviced 1st, just to make sure the timing etc isn't out. If the problem is still happening I'll look at the injectors & the exhaust.

I'm sure the other early cars on the Lake District run will soon tell me if its still running rich
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Quote Originally Posted by james
    I'm sure the other early cars on the Lake District run will soon tell me if its still running rich

The problem is going to be getting anyone prepared to go behind! Mick and I daren't as we both sit and smoke in the car

P
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496