Thread: Imitation rear quarters or donor body?

Imitation rear quarters or donor body?

Guys, the previous restoration of my car appears to be badly done to say it as nice as possible.

After getting rid of all the paint and blasting some parts of the body it appears that I need new rear quarters.
    There are new quarters available from several sources but these (in my opinion) are not original Porsche.

On the other hand there are also several donor bodies available (e.g. Ebay) but you never know how good that body is since it's also 35 to 40 years old.
    On the other hand a donor body does have some other parts I also need (rear seat buckets, front parafan etc.)

Now my question to you is: what would you do?

- Buy new, non original, rear quarters?
    or
    - Buy a donor body for parts?

Thanks in advance!

Buy real quarters off of a junker. Cut them off and weld them onto your car. This will most likely be cheapest and achieve results as good as NOS panels.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Hello there.

The genuine parts are available..It not at all cost-effective to fit used ones..and a full resto requires them to be removed anyway..

Kind regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidppp
    Hello there.

The genuine parts are available..It not at all cost-effective to fit used ones..and a full resto requires them to be removed anyway..

Kind regards
    David
    Can you perhaps tell me where they are available.

All I can find is aftermarket or imitation.

Funny, 2 answers. 1 for a donor body and 1 new parts

New parts. They are galvanized. Old parts are just one rusty part for another.

Is this the car done by a famous shop called Restorations B.H? (you know I know who, but don't want to make it obvious)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by davidppp
    Hello there.

Kind regards
    David
    Why does a full restoration require the flares be cut off?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

When some people say restoration, they mean concours only, which would dictate flare removal in most cases.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by 304065
    New parts. They are galvanized. Old parts are just one rusty part for another.

Is this the car done by a famous shop called Restorations B.H? (you know I know who, but don't want to make it obvious)
    But then I would prefer new Porsche (genuine) parts. Any sources?

Yes, my car is being restored at B.H. Or Bart Holland
    Don't have to hide it for me.

Wish I brought it there directly instead of some *&%$^#(censored) do the work. Long story.

Are you familiar with the company?

Semjon,

One hundred years ago, when I was studying in Europe, I used to read the British classic car magazines and see the ads for "restorations Bart Holland." I remember being impressed by their ingenuity in doing such things as casting reproduction hood latches for a 300SLR gullwing, not because the original parts weren't available from D-B, but because they were $2000 a piece!

Later, when I became a Porsche enthusiast I noted the restoration of the early 911 on their website. They are a very well regarded firm according to everyone I have talked to.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The are a well regarded firm indeed. Every time I go there there's something amazing to see. They make there own parts if the originals are no longer available or in the case of Mercedes latches to expensive.

Great to see. Also the owner and everybody who works there are car lovers to the bone. Great people!

But make to the rear quarters, does anyone have an address where I can find genuine ones?

Thanks! Semjon