Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC vs RS

Isn't chemistry always nano?

SC vs RS

Ok, the bad news first... my 912 got whumped in the butt week before last week and geico just handed me a check. Almost all the damage was to the bumpers, rear valance, and deck lid but the body shop told me that they will be painting the whole rears anyway by the time they 'blend in'.

Well I absolutely LOVE the silver SWB car with the RS flares as shown in the Ultimate T/R thread. The narrow fronts with the flared rears is just awesome and since you only live once and it is going to be 'away' for repairs anyway... so on to uniqueness and the bemoaning of the concours people . It will also be a bit nicer once the 2.8 gets installed. The titanium rods from crower finally made it in and boy are they light. 341g compaired to the stock 722. Almost too pretty to install...

Which brings me to the question and the good news: I realize the RS flare is more 'period' and I guess 'correct' for bastardizing a SWB, but after staring at lots of pictures I am coming to an opinion that the SC flares 'work' nicer with the narrow lips of the front fenders. Other than the fat, flat lip of the RS flare is there any other shape difference between the SC and RS flares? When this process is done is the sheet metal butt welded or does one piece need to have a lip crimped into it? I would assume when done correctly, there is almost no filler.

Sorry to ramble - thanks in advance,
    tadd

It's said in welding circles that the only 'right way' is to butt weld the new pieces on. I'm sure there's many opinions on this however. If you panel flange it and weld it up be sure to use a seam sealant when you're done.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Thanks for the welding note. It's good to know what to ask for. I always hated body work.

Just incase anyone is interested in crower's work. You really have to heft one to get the real zen.

tadd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tadd,
    What does Crower charge for the Ti rods. Who does your wrenching in DC.
    Phil

Hello: You can weld the flares on either way. I have butt welded some on and also rolled a flange on and welded them on. The result on the inside is almost the same when covered in undercoating. Some of the factory turbo flares I've seen have been welded on as well. The flange allows more room for fitment. The butt weld if done right has to be fitted precisely. I would flange weld it if it was me and it also gives a stronger fender because of the flange. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

pu911RSR:
    It was right around 3.5k for the set of six and ended up around 13 weeks from start to finish. It was the first set they had done so now that they have the CAD files I sure they would be quicker.

The mechanic is me - this is my 'fun' to decompress from a hard day of chemistry .

Thanks for the thoughs Eric. I was kind of worried about the seam for oxidation, so was leaning towards butt welding anyway.

No thoughts on the original question about any shape differences between SC and RS flares before I put in an order?

tadd

Hello: I would do the SC flares since they cost less. You can find cutoffs fairly cheap. You could also flare your original flares buy cutting them vertically with multiple cuts. You then dolly them out to give a slight bulge. Then weld them back together. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Does anyone know how much headway has been made in the endeavor of reproing ST flares? These would be the coolest.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I think people custom make the ST flares by shaving down turbo flares. I don't think it that much more than doing a set of RS flares other than you have do front and back. They are very cool flares I had a 911 years ago that had factory ST flares on the rear.
    Phil

Tadd,
    I'm curious about your choice for Ti for rods. I am not aware of anyone else still doing that for road racing applications. Maybe it's cost prohibitive.
    Phil