Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this 911S?

Should I buy this 911S?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like some thoughts from you experienced 911S guys on a car I am considering.

1977 Porsche 911S
    The car looks great and the engine has been rebuilt for around 20k miles ago.

Pictures of the car

Here is what the tech at Dieter's in San Diego noted:

Compression tested:
    1- 145
    2- 145
    3- 150
    4- 125
    5- 125
    6- 145

Front rotors measure:
    Min 18.6mm Actual 18.5mm

Front brake pads measure:
    Min 3mm Actual 8mm

Rear rotors measure:
    Min 18.6mm Actual 18.3mm

Rear brake pads measure:
    Min 3mm Actual 7mm

Wiring problem in the left front turn signal and running lights, suspect poor ground.

The clutch is very stiff and is at the end of adjustment.

Oil leaks include cam oil lines, chain boxes, countershaft stud & #3 &#5 head gaskets.

Exhaust system is aftermarket & is not smog legal (it has passed smog)

EGR system is missing exhaust hookup parts.

Alternator pulley bent.

Front brake calipers are dragging slightly. Should have all the hoses and fresh fluid to free up the pistons.

Windshield washers are not working.

Air duct on the left side of the fan housing is rotted and cooling air is being lost.

Door seals fit poorly.

Dash lower valance is missing.

There is a dent in the lower middle of the rear deck lid.

The sunroof is poorly fitted and the seal is old.
    Need to replace front hood shocks.

Weak 1st gear. Gear synchro.

Some surging at low speeds and light throttle.

Found no record of last major service.

Suggest retorque cylinder heads at the time of major service.

Rattle from right seat tracks.

What do you guys think this car could be worth in $?

A perfect 2.7L car would be worth $15 to $18 if all upgrades to the motor are done and it has some special magic to it. Start subtracting... or divide by 2.

You realize that a '77 "S" is not a "real S" right?

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911
    You realize that a '77 "S" is not a "real S" right?
    What is a "real S" then?

I was just looking for some help regarding how to value a 30-35 year old Porsche 911 with basis in the condition of the car. So, I was hoping for some comments from you guys on the things that the tech commented about the car as an objective source.

I would pass. The compression tests aren't the best. Its a marjor teardown
    to fix all the leaks. 20000$ in restoration and its leaking fancy interior but so what. Mechanical and "structal soundness" is the most important thing in a 911. I would walk! I would divide the price in half to be interested. I just dont see a 20000$ restoration with a PPI like that.

JW

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    I would suggest something from 1967-1973.

don

Quote Originally Posted by kvalitet
    What is a "real S" then?

I was just looking for some help regarding how to value a 30-35 year old Porsche 911 with basis in the condition of the car. So, I was hoping for some comments from you guys on the things that the tech commented about the car as an objective source.
    kvalitet, ignore that comment. Guys, cut this dude some slack. Porsche made a 911 S in 77 so it's real.

K, The reason you got the remark is because this site concentrates on the early 911s from 64-73. All models: Normal, T, E, L, S. We like to poke fun at the Mid Year 911S, which the 77 falls into, because performance was a step backwards in the US due to emissions and safety laws.

As for the car you are asking about in particular, I'd walk and not look back. Do you prefer the mid year look (like the 77) or the early look? If the early look, then you've found the right place here. If you prefer the mid year look then Pelican Parts BBS is a great place to learn and get advice on all models of Porsche. Here is a link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forum....php?forumid=8

Don't mind a lot of the guys here. Some are old and GROUCHY and were never the new guy .

Good luck with your search. Although some here would differ in the model you asked about, none will fault your taste in the maker!

Cheers,
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Buy this book.....The Used 911 Story by Zimmerman. It will answer all your questions year by year in a short and simple manner.

i am NOT an expert but that sounds like a poorly maintained car.

was a leakdown test done? the difference in compression #'s would seem to render the value of the 'rebuild' as -0-.

what's the asking price? if you are in mid-high teens you can most certainly find a decent SC for the same money if you are okay with not having a mid-year.

there is a group of mid-year fans on pelican and you would do well to find them. mid-9 or something i believe.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Kvalitet,

Run, don't walk away from this turd as far as you can. From your desription, you are looking at a minimum of 10,000 U.S. frogpelts to put this toxic wastesite into reliable, safe, enjoyable driving condition at a reputable shop.

70SATman says Porsche called it an S therefore it is an "S". It may be an S in name, but certainly not in soul and spirit. There is a world of difference between a "real" S and the gutless, strangled, overweight, mid-year period imitation S offerings by Porsche during a time when US safety and emission laws were a moving, undefined target and all US & european manufacturers were chasing an evolving set of standards. Blame Senators Ribicoff and Kennedy.

Another very important consideration:Your thread indicates you reside in San Diego, (as in CALIFORNIA). We are very fortunate that Arnold has vetoed every attempt by the environmental loonie fringe to bring pre '75 autombiles under the emission testing umbrella. You don't need to test and pass anything smog-wise with a pre '75 car.

From an overall viewpoint, you are looking at one big upside with this car. It's galvanized. If it hasn't had panels replaced and not been tampered with you shouldn't have to worry about rust.

In my view, that one plus doesn't come close to outweighing the downsides of this year, model, and specific car. If you must have a "shorthood", look for a '74 or '75 S.

Pass on this thing and go forth and find ye a sound, early, long wheelbase 911 and make it into whatever you want.... It'll be a lot of fun, trust me.
    After all, it's only money!

Respectfully, John G.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

John - you sure do have a way with words! Me - I ain't got real good smarts like you.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com