Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Early S/R Gruppe Fall '06 Run

Midwest Early S/R Gruppe Fall '06 Run

Last event of the year for us - weather is disintegrating before our eyes ... This was just another REALLY fun get together with a couple of new faces and a couple of new cars. Unlike Crystal Cove/PAG events, we had to go to 5 states! to come up with 10 cars It's tough being us. Anyway, my camera burned out halfway through the weekend, so I hope some others will post.

We did a nice run up to the Gilmore Auto Museum on Sat. This is a really unique museum located in farm country north of Kalamazoo. All of the cars are housed in various barns spread out on 100's of acres.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

A few more. We did a nice group shot in front of a restored filling station at the museum - Dave or somebody, please post some of those photos!

It was a great time for sure! Thanks Brian Fryar for organizing the lodging and driving routes. Speaking of Brian, can you believe that he let ME drive THIS?!?!?!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Nice color mix eh?
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dick Zarbo's too cool for school 70"T" and some black car that showed up More later.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Brian - that RS is truly spectacular. Just the right amount of patina, and the down the road stance is perfect. Thanks for not being afraid to drive it as intended. With all you've put into it... this special car is lucky to have found you! Bravo!

Coilpanzer - I love Olivia, but thought she wasn't so crazy about me. Turns out, she just has a taste for PROPER German built coils, not those Brazilian silver ones (no offense to our charming Brazilian exchange-student friend Natalie) . Give Olivia the spark she DESERVES this time. For those not there, I drove Dave's car (Olivia) the way she loves it all afternoon, a fantastic ride, she didn't skip a beat until QUITTING on me within coasting distance of the hotel!! Turned out to be just (another) half-hearted coil!!

And Larry Marzano - huge thanks for your valiant parking lot efforts to get my car running better. You are a great asset to us midwesterners and put the poseur mechanics out here to shame!

Great to see some new folks join us (Dick & Robin, Scott & Karen) and old friends too (Curt & "doorbanger gruppemeister' Kim, Randy & Barb, Dwight & Candice, Larry & family friend Natalie, and Bill with his placeholder SC). Great group of people and cars!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Thumbs up

These are GREAT pics guys...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Curt & the Mid-West gruppe;

Looks like a fantastic outing in the Michigan countryside!
    Nice to see Brian is not afraid to get the RS wet

I have a good friend who recently moved to South Haven...you have given me added incentive to make a road trip out your way.

Thanks for posting some cool pics, great scenery & awesome cars !!!
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Hey Curt,

What were you drive'n bud ? ... don't see the old Grey Wolf anywhere

Maybe there's a whole thread I missed somewhere, but when I don't see your old hot rod I get nervous ....

Cheers on a GREAT run,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hey Chuck - I was driving the 'Early S Rental Car' (the signal orange S Targa) . Brian was generous enough to offer his S to me and Kim for the weekend. No questions ask. It's really amazing - and maybe typical out there too - but we all swap cars around like they're $2 Hot Wheel toys, even Brian's RS. When we're out on a drive I'm never sure who's driving what car at any given time!

Anyway, the Gray Wolf has been at Larry Marzano's for a couple of months. What started as 'fixing a gearbox leak and lowering the rear end a bit' has turned into a total suspension rebuild including powdercoating all the pieces, replating fasteners, ER bushings, etc., etc. Also doing a major 'reseal' and detailing on the engine. Next, it looks like we're going to put it on the dyno and get the carbs setup correctly. It's alway run good, but fat. We suspect the carbs are set that way because it was easy to get it to run smooth. So, we're thinking there's more power in there to be had. Larry had a few progress fotos at the event and I'm thinking that can't be my car! It's always been a nice 1 previous-owner car, but he's taken it to the next level.

Also: check your PM.