Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 litre S upgrades

2.0 litre S upgrades

I am running a 2.0 S in historics here in Australia, and am looking to get some more legal hp from my motor. I am prepared to spend some $$$ on it over the coming 12 months, and know that there are quite a few of you that are running 2.0 cars in the US obtaining some serious hp.

The restrictions are I cannot run twin plug, I cannot change gear ratio's, and I am subject to random inspections!!

My guess is that some of you may want to give me some heads up as to getting some more reliable hp.

Here is a pic of my little beast.

Original 2.0 S RHD originally delivered into Malaysia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Hello: That is a pretty car. You don't say what you are aloud to make in the way of engines mods. Can you increase compression, change cams, port the heads, crank fire, etc. We will need more info to get you more horsepower. Also what carbs do you have and exhaust. Thanks Eric

Hey eric,
    sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I have finally received what we can and cannot do. Basically you can go up to 1.5mm over-bore, with internal components free. I think the cc goes from 1991 to approx 2066cc as a max for the 2.0litre motor. Gear ratio's and LSD are able to be changed/installed, that previously I thought you could not change - BONUS!
    I guess on a unlimited budget you could build a real monster, but initially, since this is the first race car I have had, I think an extra 20hp+ would be nice enough, and later on once the $$$ allow it, build a real mean one with Lisa and Mike at Spyder here in Melbourne.
    THe mullfer, SSI's and head porting and polishing, flowing etc, and some trick ELF fuel with high oxygen levels should allow this to occur... any thoughts from here?
    The exhaust I currently have is the standard muffler running Webers (40's). Be interested to see what you think can be obtained with different budgets and modifications other than a total strip and rebuild with race components.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

Hi Mark

A shorter gearbox is one of the things I would opt to do, to have more fun at the track (assuming it's an average race track) w/ the same engine.

A couple of HP and relatively cheap can be obtained by getting another muffler.

Next would be high compression (906) pistons, than heads and cams.

Richard

Depending upon whether or not you know someone who knows what they are doing in the art of "black magic" as Wayne Dempsey refers to it in his book, bench flowing the heads could find you 10-15 more hp with no rules being broken.

A ligthweight flywheel and everything you can lighten and balance could also help !
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    #rennfrog

I agree w/ Gruen and OliveR but rather do the cheapest things first. The last 10-20% in extra HP will cost the most.

Richard

p.s. OliveR your products look real good.

When it really comes down to it, the cheapest performance mod would be to go on a diet. The driver's weight is just as relevant as any dead weight on the car itself. It costs no money - in fact it saves money since your grocery bills are less!
    What Oliver says is very true as well.
    BTW, OliveR I have looked at your website a few times, and I have enjoyed seeing what your shop has built. You are one of the few shops in Europe I would bring my cars too if I were looking to do some performance mod's. You also seem to have a never ending pipeline of Cibie hood lamps

I don't know whether Alex has any more than 0.5hp worth of weight to lose!!! He's not the "late middle-age portly Porsche driver body type"!!!!!!!!!!
    Michael

Hello: Gears,gears gears! Did I say gears. The cheapest way to go faster is gears. I learned that along time ago. If you get some shorter gears in that gearbox it will feel like 20HP. Run a sport muffler(I make my own) and rejet the carbs. Fiberglass bumpers,hood, fenders and decklid. I would also change out the glass to Lexan except the windscreen. This should make a fun track car. You could also change out the suspension pieces as well if not already done. A good gearbox ratios for least amount of money would be A,GA,M,S,X. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric