Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring MapDoor Pockets

Restoring MapDoor Pockets

Does anyone know how to remove the map and door pockets? I have looked and looked and it is not intuitive. It seems that the screws for the door pockets are [I]inside[I] the pocket and unreachable. Deduction says that if you remove the map pocket, the door pocket will hinge down far enough to get at the hinge screws. But how do you remove the map pocket? I could not figure that one out.

Has anyone restored the map pockets by repairing a speaker hole? Help in this area would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

There is a great article in the last Esses(for members of Sreg) magazine about restoring door pockets. Maybe you can borrow a copy from somebody living a little closer to you than me? I also have a set of pockets that I am going to attemt to restore.....

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

If this is a 69-73... You need to first remove the bungee in the moveable pocket. Find the tied end. If you can untie the knot, that will save the cord but otherwise you would cut it. That will allow the door pocket to drop to the stop. Remove the plastic nut and remove the stop and then the pocket will drop down to where you can see the 4 phillips screws holding it. I use an angled phillips screwdriver to loosen.

Make sure the window is up. The front fixed pocket will then also drop down once you remove the rear mounting nut and fron mount bolt. With the moveable pocket out of the way, you should be able to get a 10 mm wrench behind the pocket (inside the door) and unscrew that with the lockwasher. The front mount bolt is an Allen in hex which you also remove. Pocket will drop and again 4 phillips secure the pocket to the door.

Greens, thanks a lot for the procedure. That is exactly how I envisioned that it would work. I only see one "sticky wicket" if you will. I was messing around with the plastic nut inside the door pocket and figured it would be easy to remove that stop pin at the front of the pocket. The difficulty I see is in re-installing it. There is very little to no room to get your fingers in there to re-insert that pin. That is basically the last thing you install before hooking up the bungees, correct. How did you install that pin? Thanks.

Scott

I never remove the 'stop' pin from the moveable door. Just lift the metal retaining finger up and cycle the pocket down. When reinstalling the bungee; thread the bungee, stretch the bungee to the max at one end, and then use a clamp on the bungee (with clamp resting against the door) to hold the bungee tension while you do the final threading through the figure 8, double hole retainer.

The capitalist roader, member # 322
    2.7 MFI 73 coupe and 69 912 in pieces

Perfect, that is what I needed. Also, I am missing the channel that you have to lift up to fold down the door pocket on the driver's side. Any idea where I can get one of those? Thanks.

So, now that we know how to get them off, who restores them?
    I have a decent set, but the forward fixed pockets have old speakers mounted to them which I would like to take off. Does Tony at Autobahn do vinyl recovers for these things?

Einmalig will restore them for you. I bought the alu. trim and vinyl from them two weeks ago, and they offered to restore my door pockets for me. I told them I wanted to try my selves but if I don’t succeed I might send them after all. they sell both used alu trim and repro alutrim and very good original look German vinyl. probably Tony(Autobahninteriors) can do it as well.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

OK, I am going to try and restore the front map pocket myself also. First owner installed speakers back in the 70's. I need to source a couple of things that maybe you all can help me with.

Does Einmalig have the rubber top to the pocket? Has anyone located the rigid material that the pocket is made out of or determined how you are going to fill in the hole cut for the speaker? I had considered using a thin plywood or something similiar. I also need to get the material (felt?) for the inside of the pocket - does anyone know what that is or where I can get it? Some assistance on the repair procedure would be most appreciated - if none available, I will just wing it.

Tony at Autobahn Interiors quoted me $90 to $150 depending on condition.

Quote Originally Posted by caproader
    When reinstalling the bungee; thread the bungee, stretch the bungee to the max at one end, and then use a clamp on the bungee (with clamp resting against the door) to hold the bungee tension while you do the final threading through the figure 8, double hole retainer.
    Does anyone know where i can find/see a picture of the way one threads the bungee ? Both my pockets are screwed down. Any pictures would be very welcome !
    Cheers
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)