Thread: Where to buy a leather wrap for a steering wheel?

Where to buy a leather wrap for a steering wheel?

Guys,
    I was hoping I could convince GeorgeK to come out of retirement and re-wrap my 73T steering wheel for me, but to no avail.
    Anyone know where I can buy a leather piece and wrap it myself- besides Alan Gunn!?
    How about Tony at Autobahn?

By misstake I ordered a cover from Wheelskin, do not make the same misstake ! Now I have ordered one from Alan Gun for a rubber coated 914 380mm. I have seen pics of wheels with A.G. cover that amateaurs have stiched themselves and it looks great. (I am an amateur, but I will try)

john
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Gruen-
    I ended up making one myself. I had purchased one from A.G for my 400mm wheel, and it was O.K., but not perfect. I then ordered one for my 380mm wheel, and it did not fit whatsoever (grip of wheel was too small). I started with the A.G cover, and used it as a template for my wheel. I was able to make a better quality cover in about two hours. It was more accurate and regular than the one I purchased. I then sold the 380mm cover to another S board member who had a 380mm wheel with a different grip, and it didn't fit his wheel either!

John-
    I hope you have better luck. At the very least you will have a useful template!
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott

The 400 wheel, did you cover it on the outside of old leather to get a thicker grip? I have my original 400 leather wheel that came with my S but where afraid the wheel would look a bit strange if I made it thicker than original, so therefor I went with a used 914 wheel (the one with the rubber/fake leather cover) to have a nice base to fit the new leather around. Did you glue or in any way fasten the new leather cover or just stich it to keep it in place?

I will follow your prosedure if it dont fit, good idea!

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

John, why were ou so unhappy with Wheelskins? I have a fat Formuling France wheel, ordered the "C" kit from them and installed it. The look and feel is spectacularly good, and they were very helpful.

cheers
    Adam912.Out.
    '66 912, 2.2L of lightweight, torquey T4 power!
    Also the reigning mileage champ of the 912 Registry at 480K miles.

Adam

The reason is that when I ordered I did not se that the leather cover does not cover the spokes of the wheel, like the original. When you stitch the leather cover around the wheel and you come to one of the spokes, the manual says to just make "false" stitches when you pass the spoke because there is no leather for the spoke it selves , see pic. Probably noting wrong with the leather quality etc, totally my own fault for not checking what I ordered

John.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #931

Scope Creep Poster Child
    John-
    On both wheels I did not cover over other leather. For the 400, I removed the original leather and just stiched the new cover in place. I had trouble getting the leather to conform to the area where spokes meet the rim. On the 380mm wheel I used some contact cement at this area, and it really helped. George K says that the glue should not be required, but I couldn't get the material in the right shape without it. Perhaps next time!

My 380 wheel has the hard rubber rim, and I think it looks nice with just one layer of leather. You might be fine with one layer on the rim you describe, as I think it is larger around that the hard rubber ones. If you trully want the ST look, it will take two.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

The thing I liked about the Wheelskins cover is that they really idiotproof it, the rolled edge next to the holes is reinforced by putting a strong nylon cord in there so that when you reef on it (and you need to!) you don't imediately rip out the holes. Also.. I had the same challenge as you regarding the covering on the spokes. Underneath the old spoke coverings are rivets holding rim to spoke. I restored the finish of the aluminum spokes on my wheel, and I like the look as-is with bare rivets, but Wheelskins WILL sell you matching leather to cover the spokes if you so desire at a reasonable price, and it simply tucks inside the edge of the rim covering, just like the original covering material did.. With an awl you can make holes to stitch it, and it should look great.

Just an FYI for next time....

Adam