Thread: Help with turn signal problem

Help with turn signal problem

I have a problem with the turn signals on my recently redone 69S. When applied the correct arrow flashes two or three times and then both arrows flash at a much reduced brightness. This is the same for the right and left turn signals. The turn signals themselves flash normally.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

Right off hand it sounds like a ground problem. Check the ones at the back, the rear tail light are real prone. Make sure the ground wire from the light to the bumper to body allen bolt is making a sound contact.
    Good luck
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

On my 73.5, the left front socket in the light box twisted just enough so that both of the hot contacts at the base of the bulb would touch the same hot contact in the socket base. When I rotated the bulb just a minor bit in the remove direction (Counter clock wise) the problem went away. At least it went away until the bulb rattled it's way back to the original position. One of these days I have to fix the thing correctly. Hope that this helps.
    John, aka the Capitalist Roader (Take that! Mao)

My understanding is that this phenomina (the twin flashing indicators on the dash) was intended to alert the driver that he had a bad bulb somewhere. On my 72T, I have had to clean and rotate and jiggle the bulbs over the years for this to go away.

I am further of the impression that this "feedback" is the result of differing resistance in the turn lamp circuits. Therefore, if you use a different wattage bulb in one socket vs. the opposite side it is also said to trigger the multiple arrow problem. Good luck!

p.s. Isn;t it funny how somehtinglike this can bug us? The exterior lamps are usually working fine, and the only person who can see both arrows flash is us. Go figure...