Thread: What tools do i need to buy for maint., susp. work, etc?

What tools do i need to buy for maint., susp. work, etc?

Counting the days to 911 ownership and ready to start doing some tool purchasing. I already have a Craftsman mechanics set (smaller one that came in a 4 drawer plastic box) but beyond that i have no automotive tools.

Winter projects i intend to tackle include: new brake lines, brake pads, valve adjustment(s), tune webers, polybronze bushings, possible shocks all around, GTS seats, battery swap to Optima, brake flush, turbo tie rods, possible ball joints, new fuel lines and.......well i'm sure there's more but i'll probably be so far behind on this list come spring it won't matter.

I know i need a set of flare wrenches and a valve adjustment tool but beyond that i'm not positive.

I appreciate any input!

Erik
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Hello: My advice is to start one job at a time then buy the tools you need. I would also say that you should just buy the tool you need not the whole set. Craftsmans tools are good and they have a pro line that is nicer. I would also look at some Snap-on, Mac and Hazet tools. I like a roll around cart for tool holding and part storage. I also would suggest two sets of screwdrivers. One set used for pry bar,rough work and the other just for nice screw removal. Hope this helps some. Thanks Eric

You could never have too many tools. Craftmans are fine and I would get the following:

1) Racheting combination wrenches, great tool
    2) Set of Allens "L"'s and Allen sockets
    3) Sears sells this great soft blow hammer with removable ends
    4) Flair line wrenches
    5) Makita cordless drill
    6) Makita cordless impact gun 3/8" drive
    7) air compressor, bigger the better
    8) Full 1/4" drive set with extensions and universals
    9) Full 3/8" drive set with extensions and universals
    10) Automatic push button propane tourch (to get those rusted nuts off)
    11) Bench grinder with a wire wheel
    12) Roll around tool chest with work bench top (you never have enough work space)
    13) Bench Vise
    14) Hydralic lift
    15) Jack stands (4)
    16) Set of splined sockets ( Like Allens, but with 10-12 splines)
    17) 3/8" drive spark plug socket
    18) Full screw driver set
    19) Pry bar set
    20) Pneumatic air gun
    21) Pneumatic angle grinder
    22) Air accessory kit (tire inflator, quick releases, etc.)
    23) Ohm meter and continuty light.
    24) Florecent drop light
    25) creeper (you'll spend lots of time under the car and on your back, so get a good one)

That would encompass a good starter set that will do most of the things you want to do without getting fustrated for lack of a tool. The Mikita cordless tools makes the work go much faster, but consider an air impact gun for more power as well. Welcome to the "Turn your own wrench" club, once you start, you'll be amazed at how much more it will enhance your ownership experience. Good luck and let me know if you need anymore ideas, I love spending other people's money Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

While everything on Allen's list will be in your toolset at some point, a few of the items will be needed sooner. Good solid jackstands, they come both small and large, get the large. Floor jack, get one with a low profile and a high lift (min 15"). A good creeper. Best of luck with your projects and keep money in your budget for good tools. Welcome!!!!
    Bob Aines

Good points Bob, The majority of my tools are Snap On and Mac, but then again having owned a shop and paying cash, I was able to get discounts of up to 40%. But it took alot of goodwill to get to that point. I started out with and still have all my craftsman tools, and you know, dollar for dollar, there is nothing bad about them and outside of the very rare occasion where space is a problem, they're a great set of tools. The premium tools generally are thinner walled and could get into tight spaces better. My suggestion is to go to Sears, open a new Sears account to get the 10% discount, and spend $1000 on all the shop equipment and manual tools you can carry. Forego the air stuff for now. But work torwards it, it does save alot of time and effort. Buy the best and you'll never regret it. Have fun, Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Well i have figured out that the Performance Products catalog is a good way to price tools. Simply take the PP price and divide by 2 to get a reasonable price.

My biggest concern is safety under the car and a Bend Pak is an awful tempting item right now. I suppose i'd get good use out of it between oil changes and valve adjustments right?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric911S
    Hello: My advice is to start one job at a time then buy the tools you need. I would also say that you should just buy the tool you need not the whole set. Craftsmans tools are good and they have a pro line that is nicer. I would also look at some Snap-on, Mac and Hazet tools. I like a roll around cart for tool holding and part storage. I also would suggest two sets of screwdrivers. One set used for pry bar,rough work and the other just for nice screw removal. Hope this helps some. Thanks Eric
    I tend to agree with Eric that start with a basic set and add on as you need tools.

Gearboxes list is great but there is no need to get everything at once.

To start, consider getting basic hand tools, large roll away tool box, electric drill and drill and screwdriver bits (the 18v Makita and Dewalts are nice, but I use a 12.? with good sucess but I do peridically use my 115vac 3/8" drill as a back up for certain jobs or when my battery dies), decent 1/2" torque wrench, good jack and 4 jack stands, drop light, volt/ohm meter, dremel tool, pry bar, and a 2-4 pound sledge/dead blow hammer. If you do not have a work bench, a small bench with a 4" vise is very nice. Be sure to include some task lighting. Some consumables you should consider: nitrile gloves, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, PB Blaster, hand oiler, hand cleaner, eye protection, and shop wipes.

For the specialzed tools, wait until you are ready to do the project, and get them as needed. You can always use my rule for selecting projects... Only do a project that requires a tool you do not currently own.

While for most things, paying the additional dollars for high end tools is a good thing. For stuff that does not require high precision, like pry bars, sledge hammers etc, the stuff at Harbor Freight makes sense. Also for a tool you may only use once or twice, the ones at Harbor Freight may be ok but do not try to extend their life as the resulting damage may be more costly than the decent tool purchased up front.

You can never have too many tools.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Okay, i'll take it easy on tools for now. Already have a 10' counter ($100 at HD on top of free cabinets from a coworkers kitchen remodel), a creeper, orange hand cleaner and carb/brake cleaners (the tingling feeling on your hands means it's working ).

I will be printing this thread out and going shopping!
    Erik

Early S # 1107

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Here we go with the tool crazy thread! I get excited about tools. Maybe we need a SHOW YOUR TOOLS thread. Yeehaa.

Probably the coolest tool I've seen is a really nice scissor hydraulic lift. Oohh baby does that ever do it for me. Finding one at a reasonable price would be the icing on the cake.

And air tools......aaaahhhhhh. It took me 52 years to get around to playing with them, but a fella can't have a big enuff air compressor or too many air tools.

Darn it. I'm wandering here. Sorry folks.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

......Metric flare-nut Wrenches
    I could not begin to tell you how many 13mm wrenches I have...long,short,box,offset-box. Once you pick a project ask about it or read up on it.

I think I have the same starter Craftsman tool set as you. (black plastic w/4 red drawers?aprox"330pc.")

You can look at the expensive tools, as they do come in handy once in a while. I do enjoy the ocassional trip to Harbor Freight with my Father as well though.

....2.5lb Dead blow hammer (very handy)
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074