Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That hard to find part

That hard to find part

There was a thread recently exploring the possibility of turning a Porsche hobby into a business. I have been thinking about the same kind of thing with a different twist. I have recently retired from a career in mechanical design and I have many years of experience in product development. I have designed for many different types of manufacturing processes including plastics molding, metal casting, machined parts, and sheet metal fabrication. As a long time classic car enthusiasts and current owner of a 72 S I know there are always parts that are NLA and good quality reproduction parts are not available. The trick is to identify parts that are in high enough demand that I can produce enough parts to offset the cost of tooling. I need help from you guys on identifying parts that are needed but no longer available.

Steve

I think a few of you need to get with Restortion-Design and give him a hand. I can think of at least half a dozen small body parts that are not made by anybody at the moment. Just my thought a this venture.
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Most of this stuff seems w/in your capabilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

If Restoration Design won't accept help, there's a fairly strong demand for quality sheet metal pieces. Refer to previous threads about how RD doesn't return calls, delays, the kind of things you can get away with when you have no competition in his field of expertise (and there's no doubt anywhere that he's punching the best panels out there). A goal oriented person with the correct startup capital and business knowledge should win the hearts and wallets of folks from around the world.

As a small businessman myself I can say with confidence that you can have the most knowledge of your products and great service, but if your business sense and bookkeeping skills aren't played close to the vest your business will suffer and you'll learn the hard way.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Cibie Covers

On another thread, we've identify a rather significant demand for Cibie covers. It also has the advanteg of not being limited to Porsches.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

This is good input

Thanks for all of the input, these are all good possibilities. I don’t have first hand knowledge of metal stampings but it should not be hard to get up to speed on. I am going to be traveling for the next couple of weeks and will not have access to this site. When I return I will resurrect this thread and will be in contact with those who have made comments. Thanks again and please keep the ideas coming.

Steve

How about some steel ST Flares? (Please!)

Oh and 901 pattern shift knobs.....

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

901 shift knobs have been reproduced by a guy shwing them on ebay, they are very nice, very accurate, and usually can e had for under $100, US. an expired auction was # 280030198552, mine, seller is matty8ball

my only link to this guy is that I've bought one of his shift knobs, and I'm pleased with it.

-Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

These

Recaro sport seat base

They are about 1500 USD per couple, the rare times they appear on Ebay
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have started to do these seat bases. Should be ready next year.

Erich