Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB 904 mainshaft

WTB 904 mainshaft

Hi All

I'm looking for a 904 mainshaft for my 901 race gearbox rebuild. If you have an excellent condition used or can do me a good deal on a new one please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Steve

I think Lisa @ Spyder had one of these but it may have been earmarked for someone.....
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

re 904 mainshaft

Hi and thanks for the info really appreciate it. I'm having trouble finding an email or contact details for Lisa can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Steve

If you can't find a 904 main...

Use a GA main...they are available (and way cheaper). GA is a fairly usable 2nd-unless you're building up a giant, gorilla motor. I use GAs in my track boxes. They work pretty well.

Another thought would be to get next to a machinist, and fabricate a "new main" (from the old one) with the gearset of choice fitted to it...problem I see with that is that it's a "one shot deal" (no interchangeability). I've also never tried converting one: don't know how well that works, if at all.

I'm suprised no one has done a batch of 904-spec mains...(or am I missing something completely there?)

Hope this helps - think about that GA main as an alternative.
    cheers
    Thom Kuby

Contact Ottos
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

904 main

Thanks for the advice Thom, I've had a couple of leads that I'm currently chasing but if they don't work out I'll explore the option you've suggested. The rules for the HSCC Historic roadsport championship are fairly limited (which IMO is a good thing cos it keeps the cost down) but I'm limited to a single plug 2.0 MFI engine (+40 thou overbore) with standard rods and no exotic materials ie no titanium so it's not going to make much more than the standard 170-180hp. The car has to be 975 kg's so I thought if I can make the most out of the gearing it'll go some way to offset the limited engine tuning.
    Steve

Regs are here

http://www.hscc.org.uk/PDF%20Forms%2...egs%202006.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ixxifan
    Thanks for the advice Thom, I've had a couple of leads that I'm currently chasing but if they don't work out I'll explore the option you've suggested. The rules for the HSCC Historic roadsport championship are fairly limited (which IMO is a good thing cos it keeps the cost down) but I'm limited to a single plug 2.0 MFI engine (+40 thou overbore) with standard rods and no exotic materials ie no titanium so it's not going to make much more than the standard 170-180hp. The car has to be 975 kg's so I thought if I can make the most out of the gearing it'll go some way to offset the limited engine tuning.
    Steve
    Steve,
    This configuration is real close to what I'm running out here on the west coast...I'm one of the very few (I think there's 3 of us) all steel 2-liter 911s left in my organization (VARA). The rest of em went to big motors, and lots of plastic panels. fortunately no flares or spoilers are allowed on the CP Porsches in VARA... No, I don't run up front, but then again I really don't care...as long as I'm totally focused, driving 110%, and I've got somebody to mess with, it's all good...

but I digress:

I only weigh 200lbs less than your minimum weight...If I were to build and run JUST ONE transmission; I would strongly recommend A, GA, K, Q, V gears. This makes for a great all-round gearbox. I call this my "medium" box. I have a "long" M,S,X box that's really too tall for anything, except maybe Daytona, or Nurburgring...rare is the time I see fifth gear when I run that box. I'm thinking about shortening that one up just a few hairs.
    I'm also building a "short" box that's a couple of ticks shorter than the K,Q,V setup.

Steve, if you'd like I can pass along a neat spreadsheet (MS excel) tool that a friend setup for me. it gives you all the possible gear combinations & scenarios. You enter the car's weight, wheel/tire diameter, your gear choices, and a shift point. The tool does the rest. I think you'd get some insight from it to help you along on gear decisions...I use it all the time.

Let me know...
    Cheers
    Thom Kuby
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve

Go to private messages at the top of the screen, then click on send message and type in lisa in the recipients box. Should get you started. Good luck.

Oh by the way she is is Australia so postage might be a bit steep!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Quote Originally Posted by Homemade 911
    Steve,
    This configuration is real close to what I'm running out here on the west coast...I'm one of the very few (I think there's 3 of us) all steel 2-liter 911s left in my organization (VARA). Thom Kuby
    Great photo, Thom!

Best regards,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

904 mainshaft

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott
    Steve

Go to private messages at the top of the screen, then click on send message and type in lisa in the recipients box. Should get you started. Good luck.

Oh by the way she is is Australia so postage might be a bit steep!
    Thanks for that I'll drop her a mail