Thread: S brakes or not

Unhappy S brakes or not

hello i just bought a 72t,the po said it had s option package with front and rear swaybars and S brakes.it has the swaybars front and rear.but the front calipers are not aluminum.if these were S brakes should'nt they be aluminum?and can you have front and rear sway bars on a 'T' without 'S' brakes.am i being had or what is the correct expanation.thank you

For a 1972 S-brakes do mean the aluminum calipers. They are not terribly expensive to acquire if you wish.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

You could install the front sway without having the S calipers. To mount the S brakes you have to have the proper strut with the 3.5 caliper spacing. I'd say that if the car originally had the S options then it would have included S brakes. Just talking out my A$$ on this though. Don't know if the S options could have been individually had. I mean why bother?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

how can you tell?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmagyar
    For a 1972 S-brakes do mean the aluminum calipers. They are not terribly expensive to acquire if you wish.
    Since you guys are on this topic, do the "S" calipers look any different (besides being aluminum)? Any other distinguishing factors?
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

The "S package" has been thrown around incorrectly by many of us over the years. It could be a "trim" group (bumper rubbers, etc). The “Appearance Group included "S" Gauges (meaning you got the oil level and temp gauge). None of this had nothing to do with the alloy brakes unless specifically ordered.
    FWIW, they don't really stop any better; Heat dissipation and unsprung weight issues are the main advantages and being "trick" pieces, they were on the top of the line "S".
    Sway bars were optional as well on T's and E's from your era.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot
    The "S package" has been thrown around incorrectly by many of us over the years.
    Tom
    See Race4bux? I told ya I was of dubious authority. If he told you it had S brakes and they are not alum. then they are not the early S brakes. Measure the bolt spacing on your calipers.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586