Thread: Do new pads need new rotors?

Do new pads need new rotors?

I'm getting ready for a DE next month and am thinking of trying a different brake pad. I've been running Hawk HP pads with ATE drilled rotors. If I try a different, more track oriented pad, like Pagid orange, will I need to turn or replace the rotors?

Also, are Pagid orange usable as a street pad or would I have to switch back later?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Tom,

I believe Pagid says they want you to use new (or resurfaced) rotors, if your are changing to their Orange pads from something else.

I had Pagid Orange Pads on my car, then changed to KFP (I believe) and then changed back to Pagid Orange without touching the rotors and had no problems. YMMV

I don't think you would like Pagid Orange pads on the street. Mine take about 1/2 lap of abuse to get enough heat to stop the car and it is light (less than 1900#). You also need to pay particualr attention to Pagid's beding instructions and be careful doing it. Somewhere in the sequence you may experience "Green Fade" and you will want lots of extra space in front of you. Failure to bed the pads properly will result in the pads ejecting chunks of material off the braking surface. This usually means inferior performance and short pad life.

johnt

That was what I was concerned about - the mix of pad materials on the rotor. Ideally I'd like to find a good street/track pad that I would not have to change out. In the past I've used Mintex on a Miata with pretty good results, although it was tough to get enough heat in them when autocrossing. Any suggestions?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

The trouble is that a pad with lots of bite for street use will be very short-lived on the racetrack.

I had a set of Porterfield R4S on my '88 Carrera on the street. One cold morning I was horrified that it took me about five extra carlengths to bring the car to a stop, requiring a lane change to avoid rearending traffic.

That was the end of "dual-use" pads.

It takes about 15 minutes to change out your pads at the track before a DE event, and about 15 minutes before you go home. It's also good DE discipline, because you get the wheels off and can check for cracked rotors and loose brake lines or anything else that's out of the ordinary. Then when you put the wheels back on you can verify the correct torque.

I switched from Pagid Oranges to Performance Friction for pure race use and like the feel and the price a lot better.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Pagid Blue?

I admit I like the feel of Pagid pads. My pedal has alkways been rock solid with them. Some of the others I've tried come up "spongy". It's more difficult to "heel-toe" with a spongy brake pedal and I'm very "talent-limited" already. I don't know how long Blues would last under your conditions, but like the fact that Pagids seem to be built with "heavy", production cars in mind rather than 1100# Formula Fords.

johnt

Quote Originally Posted by 304065
    It takes about 15 minutes to change out your pads at the track before a DE event, and about 15 minutes before you go home. It's also good DE discipline, because you get the wheels off and can check for cracked rotors and loose brake lines or anything else that's out of the ordinary. Then when you put the wheels back on you can verify the correct torque.

I switched from Pagid Oranges to Performance Friction for pure race use and like the feel and the price a lot better.
    That's true, I shouldn't be so lazy. Plus, the 911's calipers make the pads pretty easy to change out. John C, are you using OEM street pads? And if so, I'm guessing that there is not a problem going back and forth with the Performance Friction pads?
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3