Thread: gas tank refurbish

gas tank refurbish

Is there somewhere you can send your tank for refurbishment?
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Hey Mike, most of the radiator guys use to do that work here in NJ until the regulators/Ins.Co. got to them. But doing it yourself is easy. Check out my website on my Porsche project link, just click on the 1971 911S link after my signature. I figured a way to remove all the rust using a battery charger and coating it with the Eastwood gas tank seal product. I could go over it with you at length, but it is a several day project, most of it leaving it to cook, soak, and dry. BTW still fighting over the dash issue. Paul from Stoddard has been very helpful, but still no resolution. After careful consideration, I believe I could make it work by carving out the metal stud plate, removing more foam, about another 1/2" and epoxing the plate back in. Needless to say I'll have to build a jig and find an epoxy that will adhere well enough to the foam. I posed it to Paul, but didn't get a direct answer. But I'm getting the feeling that he is finally getting the idea that these dashes will not fit. We'll see what he does and I will make sure everyone will be informed. Good luck Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Looper Sevicenter (324 N. Stonestreet Ave. Rockville, Md;1-800-339-1354) did both my gas tank $390, and oil tank $90. Did a great job, do a bunch of Porsches, know their stuff. The method they use I beleive is franchised, so check local radiator shops, there might be something local to you. Good luck.
    John Hallen
    1969 911T Targa

Renu is a well know franchise that does this work. Haven't used them yet though.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Alan, Be careful removing more foam look at this picture of my dash. You need some foam to support the skin. The highlited area is where its bubbling up. See how soft it is at this spot. The drivers side is firm like it should be. Stoddards is going to take it back.

I will try the local radiator shop.

Attachment 26175
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

john isn't a replacement gas tank around $400 through Pelican or Perf. Products?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Hey Mike, From this vantage point, it looks like the dash made it home to the vents. Much closer that I was able to get, I'm still out a good 1/2"+, I'm down to the metal core, and Paul from Stoddard hasn't gotten back to me yet. How did you do it? Thanks Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Mike,

Here in Cincinnati, I have taken three or four tanks to American Metal Cleaning on Northland Blvd. Ask for Mark. They charged me 150 bucks or so, as I remember, to dip the tank in their strippers. The result is a tank with zero rust, paint, or undercoating. After they finished, I sloshed Red Kote on the inside, zinc primered the outside, sprayed undercoating on the outside and painted the outside. Looks as good as new and after 3 years, nary a problem.

After stripping all the crud out of one tank, there were a couple holes that needed to be welding up. But the good news was that after the stripping process, there are no gasoline fumes left to blow the tank up.

I'm still waiting for you to get to Cincinnati, so I can buy a round of Sarsparilla.

John, member # 322
    2.7 73 mfi coupe and 69 912

John, that sounds like a good deal I'll call them since they've done some already. Thanks for the info.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox
    Hey Mike, From this vantage point, it looks like the dash made it home to the vents. Much closer that I was able to get, I'm still out a good 1/2"+, I'm down to the metal core, and Paul from Stoddard hasn't gotten back to me yet. How did you do it? Thanks Allan

Its not a vent molded dash, that soft spot extends to the top. Its a void in the vacuum mold. Talk to Athony at Stoddards. He is helping me.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue