Thread: How to remove A/C system?

How to remove A/C system?

Can anybody point me to info on how to remove my a/c system?

Also, if anybody is interested i'll be selling the works (interior parts and all) assuming shipping isn't too much of a problem.

Thanks,

Erik
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

hi Erik,

for the Early 911.s the system is an aftermarket style and all the parts just bolt on. Just unbolt and carefully remove the parts. For my '73 the major componets are:

1-Compressor On engine;
    2-Condensor on engine lid;
    3-Expansion Valve in Left wheel well;
    4-condensor and blower inder trunk;
    5-Evaporator in smigger Box;
    6-Vent on dash;
    7-Wiring harnesses;
    8-Freon Lines;
    9-dual Puilley on engine crank; and
    10-distributor plate.

Not hard, just takes time.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

harry do i need to have the refrigerant emptied from my lines first? if i just start unbolting stuff will refrigerant spray everywhere? a/c is something i know nothing of...
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

If your system still has it's charge, them you need to have it evacuated by a recycler. If you have the original, non-barrier hoses and the system has set for a few years, then most liley you have no freon present. You can check by pressing the schrader valve on the evaporator (use a screwdriver as the expanding refrigerant can freeze your finger). If stuff hisses out, you will need to remove it first.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Let me know how it goes and how much you want for the complete system, Thanks Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Will do Allan. I also have pm's regarding the parts as well.

I am hoping to get the a/c removed before i do much of anything else to the car to ease access.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

Quote Originally Posted by berettafan
    Can anybody point me to info on how to remove my a/c system? Erik
    You will find a nice hole in the front bulkhead forward of the right pedal board. You will want to close this off somehow. Other "holes" will be in the front pan where the condensor fan is located. Button this up as well. Another hole may or may not be behind the front bumper where the fan pulls its air.
    You will find even more holes in the engine compartment where the A/C lines are run to the compressor.

As far as how to deal with all of this you can either (1) pop rivet metal into place up front or (2) as I did, get "clips" from a salvage car and weld it back the way it was originally. I was able to get the front bumper area from Restoration Design but I suspect that Danske (Porsche supplier) will have something too. I also did the same with my lower pan area. All butt welded and cleaned up like new. If the car had the A/C done after the fact (by a dealer) you will find some cuts are better than others.

As far as the bulkhead hole I did get that piece but never bothered with welding it in. You'd need to get the carpets and other combustibles out of the way to weld the piece back into place. My body guy used an automotive space-age adhesive to close it off. Make sure the smugglers box isnt' rusted from the condensation line being clogged. Another chore is to clean that up and perhaps try to find (if it's missing) the plug that covers the access to the tunnel. You will also be missing a top fiber cover (round) that I'll show in a photo below.

As previously mentioned it's an unbolt and remove the parts process.

Good luck.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom is that radiator looking part at the passenger's feet part of the a/c system and is that how big the hole is?!

I think i'll be going the 'space age bonding' method myself there as i have -0- experience welding.

Wonder how much weight i'll be ditching in this process? Starting to look like a LOT.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

That was not mine but that's what you will likely find. It depends on who installed it.
    The one in the spare tire "pan" area is long and narrow. That one's a bit more tricky and if the car does have the auxillary fan assembly (it should) you will need better skills that glue and metal or even pop rivets. I think it should be sewn up tight. The hole behind the bumper will appear when you pull this assembly as it is the intake air supply for the fan. Leaving it open will allow most anything into the trunk area.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

And look for these as well. Not easy to find. The flat fibre cap goes over the hole in the photo above. It's glued it at the factory.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111