Thread: Brake pad recommendations

Brake pad recommendations

What pads should i buy for a street car that will see some autocross in the spring? I have a very low tolerance level for squeeking and would prefer not to be constantly cleaning brake dust off my wheels. The autocrossing will be for fun only.

Also, if i am getting a 'pulsing' sort of feel under hard braking does that mean my rotors are warped and need replaced? If so should i go standard rotors? Front only?

Is there a brake fluid i should stick with?

Finally, are SS brake lines worth the cost or should i replace with standard?

Thanks!

Erik

btw, a/c was drained today and i will be diving in on removal this evening
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Pads- I have stuck with Reg. Mintex and have been quite pleased; No noises, very light dust after much use. I use Hawk Pads on my Jeep, they work well, with no noises as well, but there is much more wheel cleaning involved.

Pulsing- under heavy braking-felt just in the pedal--> Check the rears first; if the pulsing is felt in the steering wheel under braking then, check fronts. I currently have standard rotors (Brembo OE style) but there is an urge for Turbo rotors..

Fluid- I just switched to ATE Racing Blue(DOT4?), it works fine.

Lines- I replaced my 30 year-old lines with standard OE ones; 2200lb car still stops on a dime.

While you are in there---You may also want to check the condition of the calipers; My first Porsche project was caliper rebuilds-(the seal kits are not expensive, just try to put the calipers back together the way they came apart-I had issues ).

-Any pictures yet??
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Well i took pics today at lunch and it turns out i can't resize them small enough for the KB limit. Need to change resolution on camera.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

hello: The metal master pads will work great for you. They are also called PBR. No dust ok low dust and no noise. They are cheap and last a long time. I get mine from Paragon Products talk to Chuck. Thanks Eric