Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Final thread on transition from 65-66 model yr!

1965 change to 1966 Model year

I love the speed and coverage this site has afforded us. Information that has taken years to unsucessfully gather can be presented, verified and contridicted in a mater of minutes. (Great stuff guys).

Let's revisit one item that Porsche published in the little Technical Specifications book, Pub. date 31 December 1967.
    Up until this one year anomily Porsche stated the number range for models produced in a prior year and it's corresponding calendar year (they always started production the year before). This one-year-only there was no car number break but Porsche did gives us a date between model 1965 and 1966.

1965, Jan to June- Model Yr 1965 and July to Dec-Model Yr 1966 . These dates are special because the normal change over was Aug/Sept.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by LGK6D
    Now you've got me really thinking. What seems strange is that the information I have shows production dates for August and one car for September. There are no production dates in October and the next production date is November with delivery scheduled for November 30th and January 3rd 1966.

I'm showing one car manufactured in August which was delivered to the UK on October 17th.

If someone can confirm the production shutdown date I might have a later chassis number!
    Hi Richard

Sorry didn't mean to point any fingers. There are two pieces of information on this thread that indicates production may have occurred in August at some point. I always assumed there was no production through the whole month. I am interested in this info. because my car falls in the same production time frame the following year Aug/Sept 66.

Regards
    Mike

PS Now three pieces of info thanks to Bob.
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Bob

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Does that mean 67model production was from JULY 66 and not Aug/Sept?

Sorry guys. I will let you get back to 65/66 now I've asked this

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Scott no offense taken.

Re. your question. Most likely not. End of August is normally when the model changed.
    Richard

july 65 .. what kind of Shiftknob?

I am wondering what is the correct shiftknob for a June/ July 65 car (model 65 as well)? Is it the leather knob as shown or the one like in a 356C/SC? If so w/ or w/o a dimple?

Thanks,
    Richard

Bob, I dropped all the info from your thread and everything else I could find into excel.

Anyone else have data to add to the list? Post it in this thread and I'll update the sheet and repost.

If anybody minds, I will delete their name or information entirely.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Updated list of 1965-1966 cars

See newer post.

Edit

See page 26, posts # 253, 254 and 255
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 12-19-2016 at 07:16 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by 304678
    I am wondering what is the correct shiftknob for a June/ July 65 car (model 65 as well)? Is it the leather knob as shown or the one like in a 356C/SC? If so w/ or w/o a dimple?

Thanks,
    Richard
    As best I recollect from my brothers late 65 early 66 (still trying to find the documents) the knobs were plain black plastic, no shift pattern. They were larger in diameter and not spherical like the later knobs with shift pattern but flatter in shape and actually fit quite nicely in the palm of your hand. The car was imported from Europe (Holland) by an independent "unauthorized" dealer. He bought new it in February 1966.

The knob you've pictured was sold by Amco or Vilem B. Haan for those who remember those guys...

See small poor photo...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Bob contact me, I have many numbers collected. There is also a guy in Colorado who had already over 200 numbers collected when I started over after a crash .. That guy (used to?) own a polo red, concourse condition. I believe an S engine and S brakes. Try to track him down. Last I think you have to leave out the owners names, unless they don't mind.

Richard

As best I recollect from my brothers late 65 early 66 (still trying to find the documents) the knobs were plain black plastic, no shift pattern.
    Than the only question I have left, is w/ or w/o dimple?

Thanks,

RIchard