Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOS hood badge scam, buyer beware.

NOS hood badge scam, buyer beware.

This guy was found out to be scamming people on these hood badges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-O...53519094QQrdZ1

There are several threads on Pelican regarding the seller, and these badges, which are not NOS!

Here's one of them...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=274046

Buyer beware!
    Regards Eric

Eric. Have you actually seen the badge/product he is offering? Just curious on the fine details. Is it fresh laser printed backing. Hard to tell from the photo. I have many OE parts still wrapped that way but can't get a good judgment of the scam by the picture he has posted, unless i 'd have the parts in my hands.
    Robert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Another Ebay Scammer

Guys, please watch what you buy from this guy, as well. "cmartinperez" sells a lot of stuff on Ebay. He recently sold a "NOS" orange bar hood crest to some unsuspecting chump for over $500, claiming it was original NOS.

In reality, it was a $50 Stoddard/Pelican repro special. Here's his latest link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Origi...48079847QQrdZ1

He made out like a bandit last time and is obviously hoping to do it again. Beware.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

I can spot that badge as a fake from miles away... but the other badge in the first link is difficult to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    I can spot that badge as a fake from miles away... but the other badge in the first link is difficult to tell.
    I would say the RED bars give it away

Also, the larger pebble grain is the telltale sign for the fako/repros. The real ones have a smaller and smoother pebble grain texture.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

JP. I know my OE flat hood badges . Have a good sized collection. Mr. Perez's badge is a fake no doubt. But I cant judge the other by the red bars in a photo through a monitor. The Originals were not consistant in there orange/red colored bars to begin with. I have 4 OE variations. I trust Eric's opinion,,, just wanted to know the details from his findings.

Robert.

Take a look at the "E" in genuine on the card. There are also other noticable errors in the card. Also in the older threads on Pelican he actually tried to sell them there first and posted pictures. In the pictures you could tell by the rings on the base of the pins (repros) and you could see that the pins were not seperate. Once he found out that you would see the solder on the originals he started applying a ring of solder around the fake pins to make it look like they were seperate.

J-P there are two versions of the original badges. One where there is no pebbling on the back (bigger pebbling pattern) and one where there is pebbling on the back (finer pattern of pebbling). Both have the proper AR, R and 901 markings.

I thought the listing had been taken down but, I can still link to it so I thought I'd post it again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3519094&rd=1,1
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Word on PP was that this seller was the guy that bought the famous $1500 NOS badge that WAS on original card from Lee. That card was obviously original (from my memory a bit faded, dirty, randomly cut, curled etc). Lee had posted on PP about his good fortune on the find then sold the badge on EBay. THis info came out after the guy got called on the carpet for trying to pass off bogus badges on PP.

I've seen this same picture used on a couple of this guys auctions. Could be that the badge in the picture is the real NOS badge that he bought on repro card but, what you end up with is a repro badge shrink wrapped on another of the same type of poorly reproduced card. The old bait and switch.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks for the lead. Now that i look closer at the fonts on this bogus packaging I can see errors.. The O in "Original" jumps out right away as wrong. I'd also bet he inserted that NOS badge just for the foto.
    The guy has balls.. i'll give him that much.

Thanks, Robert.

PS,, included pic's of OE stuff for comparisons for others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    I'd also bet he inserted that NOS badge just for the foto..
    I agree. The shot of the pins is just enough to look right, as far as the solder goes. Definitely not what he showed on PP though. To clean and tidy.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586