Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 911 S Dilema

1973 911 S Dilema

Ok so here is my sob story (no not really). I have a RSR bodied race car, turns out it's a numbers matching 73 S that came with a title. I feel compelled to tear all the race car bits off and return it to street duty, ala slightly hot rodded as motor spigots are bored out for 2.8 cylinders. First question am I totally crazy for considering such an endeavor. Second how would market value such car that is correct except for displacement.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Reckon the real question here is how much are you willing to spend to get back to where it sounds like you feel compelled to go I'd say. Can only speak for myself in saying that I'd probably get it on the road and flog it for a while then decide on a gameplan. NO??? Sometimes the gameplan changes once ya get a feel for it...
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

My question is, what is your ultimate goal? Do you want to restore it back to concours condition to ultimately sell it for a huge profit? Do you want a fun period correct driver? Do you want an R-Gruppe style 'sleeper'? Are you going to buy another track car and keep this as a garage queen? Where do you want to go and why?

I am caught in a similar dilema but do not have an answer, so I do nothing. Do I restore the 73 S to concours-klike condition and eventually sell it? Meanwhile I would hot rod the 914 as a replacement. But then I really love driving the beegeebers out of the 911 and would really miss it, profit aside. So I do nothing, but slowly modify the 914, while slowly replacing, refurbishing the 911...... very slowly
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The concours gig does nothing for me. I got a wide body hotrod so now I guess I want a narrow body hotrod. I figure a 250 HP 2.9 would make this a really fun little car. Just seems to me that the real S's are pretty special cars and race car chassis can be anything as long is it is straight. I do have a line on race car "project" that I could swap all my race goodies onto pretty easily. It should also be said that this is not some super sano race car but a beater anyways, I already have about 1/3 to 1/2 the parts to put it back together. I guess I'll just check myself into the a mental institution for even giving it serious thought. George Carlin used to say cocaine was God's way of letting you know you make too much money, but that was so 1980 's.
    Phil

I'd turn it back into a street car.......
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc.
    I'd turn it back into a street car.......
    Into a hot-rod street car.

...unless it has some special racing history.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

It is an "S". Your return to original will be rewarded as time goes by.
    Mike
    S Registry #825
    73.5 Dalmatian Blue

Thanks guys I figured everyone here would understand.
    Phil

I would go back to stock, keep the engine strong and sweet and enjoy the purity and originality of the car. Having a very stock 911S my wish list also includes a 911 sleeper hot rod ( er. . . R Gruppe type car). Anyone wanna' buy my 356 cabbie so I can start!?

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST