Thread: Boge Shocks Compression Resistance

Boge Shocks Compression Resistance

Hi all,
    I am restoring a 1969 911T Targa and recently bought from Vertex a set of rear Boge Non Adjustable Shocks (Part #32-945-5) Please see attached picture.

I was testing the resistance of the shocks before installing them and found that by pulling and pushing the shocks, the “extension” resistance is strong but on the contrary, the “compression” resistance is comparatively light.

Is this normal? Isn’t the resistance supposed to be similar both ways? I have consulted with a couple of mechanic friends and both agree that something is not ok.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rafael
    Attachment 27012
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Typically most street shocks have less compression that rebound.

If the compression is too stiff then you'll feel every ripple on the road. You want the rebound to be slower to make sure the tire stays on the road after hitting dips etc. If it's too fast in its rebound then the car will start hopping like a low rider with hydraulics.

""MOST"" shocks are speed sensitive, in other words, the faster the cycling, the more resistance.

Personally, I'd try them before you send them back. If after using the shock, you still think something is wrong then deal with it at that time.

??

how does less compression lead to the rebound being slower? typo?

"37" what are you referring to????

If you're referring to the original post, Shocks can be made to any spec 40/60 , 50/50 , 60/40,

Quote Originally Posted by ljowdy
    Typically most street shocks have --->less compression [than] rebound. <---

You want the --->rebound to be slower <--- to make sure the tire stays on the road after hitting dips etc.

That's what I don't understand -- less compression (i.e. more rebound) [you must be thinking of force there]

How does more rebound cause the rebound to be slower?

Seems like more forceful rebound would be faster (?)

Ah Ha,,, I see, YES it was a typo Should read "you want the rebound to be QUICKER to make sure the tire stays on the road."

Thanks for catching that!!!!!