Thread: EBAY BS Alert

Thumbs down EBAY BS Alert

Warning! The lights are not Porsche supplied NOS as is implied because the seller happens to have a couple of Porsche boxes. This is the second time he has posted these and he avoids knowlegeable questions and requests for additional pictures. If you know him...slap him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, you have to check out his $90 swivel brackets too! HAHAHAHAHAH! Oh, to friggin funny. Only $40 shipping too! "Sorry, I have no control over that. Someone else does the shipping" LOL.

Cheers and let's be careful out there.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    Warning! The lights are not Porsche supplied NOS as is implied because the seller happens to have a couple of Porsche boxes. This is the second time he has posted these and he avoids knowlegeable questions and requests for additional pictures. If you know him...slap him.

Oh, you have to check out his $90 swivel brackets too! HAHAHAHAHAH! Oh, to friggin funny. Only $40 shipping too! "Sorry, I have no control over that. Someone else does the shipping" LOL.

Very lame. The horn grilles are cut in an odd pattern, not consistent with the way the factory did the cutouts. I've seen this seller come up with a lot of interesting vintage Porsche stuff, but it seems most of it is thrashed or incomplete. This listing is an outright fraud.

It's bad enough we have some guy promoting 'through the grille' lights that actually mount to the horn grilles(!!!). I guess as values go up, this is what we'll see.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan

Sorry, but from the pics.....all of the items and descriptions appear correct to me....

The lights are the tungsten bulb version Hella fog lights, US type, and the swivel brackets are indeed correct. So are the horn grills....
    The "home made" bracket to mount the swivel brackets to, are almost identical to what I fabricated for my own 67S, as I couldn't find the factory OE brackets (I now have a set of them), and since they are completely hidden it really doesn't matter too much.....

I'm on a trip to NY right now....but I'll be happy to post pics of all of my items when I get back that are absolutely identical...... and they are NOS as well....

As for the seller? That's Paul Chappell... a longtime Porsche owner from SoCal. Yes, at times he sure can be proud of his parts, and he's had some unusual pricing on his shipping as well.....but I see no issues with his auction items, or the description.

regards,
    Eric
    feel free to me mail me or respond!!!!

elinden@earthlink.net

Those are SWB horn grills and look to be correct. LWB and SWB horn grill cut outs sre different. There was just one side selling on ebay awhile back with a buy it now of $250. It was decribed as NOS. I understand a set usually changes hands at around $200-400.
    The mounting brackets, L shaped in pic, to the body are not correct but look like they would work by mounting to a center bar on the body. Again SWB and LWB differ inside the grill area and you have to use different mounting brackets because they do not bolt to the battery box.
    I don't know anything about the lights and would leave that to Michael's expertise.

EDIT: Eric beat me to some info. I have pics of correct SWB brackets on my home computer. I will post tonight.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

OK, Eric you get to do the slappin.

Those don't look like the US TN4 lenses for the tungsten type fog light to me. The only tungsten split lense I've seen (except for the current aftermarket "back up tractor" lights currently on EBAY) had the same tungsten reflectors in amber (actually there are two types of that amber reflector but, I'm splittin hares ). Those were also aftermarket for France.

I have no comment on the grills because I just do not know as much on SWB details. I've heard differing opinions on originality of cut grills for SWBs.

I didn't question the originality of the swivel brackets (different auction) only the price and his shipping policies. I do wonder if the nuts are welded though like I believe the proper brackets to be.

He gouges on amateurish packaging to skim off the top because he doesn't have to pay additional EBay fees on the shipping. Then he blames the price on some third party which he has "no control about". I'd have a different opinion if his items were professionally packaged but, they are not. Try asking him to cut you a break on the ridiculous shipping fee because you live five hours away. "No local pickup!" No way. How else can I make a few extra bucks? Of course he could treat people he has personal relationships with differently. I have an opinion on that too.

I've contacted him several times over many different items. Each time he was very unwilling to deal with me at all. Each time sidesteppin. All it would take is one photo of the back side of the cases and one of the inside of the case to see if those are correct for those nifty Porsche boxes even though the details can be faked. It's harder to fake what's inside the case that is Porsche unique. Or provide the part number on the boxes to see if they match the light style. It's very easy to put lights into a Porsche box and then Viola! NOS.

It's not a stretch in my mind that if a guy is willing to jack a fellow "enthusiast" on shipping to make a lousy $5-10 from an EBay transaction then it is not beneath him to insert aftermarket lights into Porsche boxes.

It is very easy to sell lights to an unknowing party as original Porsche when they are actually aftermarket. Each and every person that I have EVER sold a set of lights to has been told whether they are aftermarket or not and I explain how I know. I've got a geeky enthusiasm for period accessories as those who have talked with me know.

The warning is the main reason why I posted. Just because you see a Porsche box.....I bet that if I wanted to I could sell all my original Porsche parts boxes empty!

I'm sick of seeing people paying crazy money for stuff that is not rare. Except for my lights of course. That is my story. I'm stickin with it until shown some evidence to the contrary.

Eric, I'll email you for some details on those red "Fog lights" of yours. I believe they are actually something else entirely. Could be you already know that. I considered trying to buy them but, realized that other than being a neat piece in a collection, functionally they would do me no good.

Cheers,
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael,

I stand by my comments.....

Also, the "red fog lights" were correct Euro type w/ h-3 bulb, the glass lens was identical to the euro driving light, just in red. I simply swapped lenses with clear Euro driving lenses.......thanks for "passing them up"!

Eric

Sure, No worries . On both

THe case I knew. THey were earlier than I thought then if they didn't have the epoxied reflectors and all you had to do was swap the lense. I think those were actually emergency vehicle lights. No way would those have been legal for rear fog. THe lense is a driving flute but in red glass. IMagine that shining at you from the car in front!! Cool lights. Single wire?

Was the split lense TN1/TN2 used by POrsche? The only split lense I've seen was Euro. I think my parts catalog only lists US for tungsten which would be the TN4. I'll double check that. The only reflector I've seen actually marked TN1/TN2 is the amber version of the TN4.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

As promised:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob,
    I have the exact same pair. Got mine from Rick Cabell a few years ago. He does nice work...