Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWB Thru the Grill Fog Light Info

SWB Thru the Grill Fog Light Info

So I thought I would post this info here considering it wasn't common knowledge to ME a few months ago. I reached out to a few friends and was finally able to figure out what was involved in mounting fog lights to a SWB car. The LWB grills and brackets are different. I'm sure others could contibute their knowledge of fog lights and 4 screw grills. The goal is to have this info available for future searches.
    Pic one: SWB Grill taken from Ebay auction - $250 for one side!
    Pic two/three: Accurate reproductions that were available but small production batch may have sold out.
    Pic four: exploded parts diagram.
    Pic five: as mounted on car.
    It would be nice to have a template of the grill and post in this board.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Nice info Bob! Thanks for taking on the challenge....

Can't post any pics yet, still traveling.... but one thing I've noted is that I've never seen a 4 screw SWB horn grill factory perforated for lights.., only 2 screw. Anyone have a 4 screw that's been perforated??

regards,
    Eric

Alright, I know when I've been called out . I'll finish up the little project I told you about and post it.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Those look like Carellos Bob, any chance you have lead on replacement lenses?
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

That's not Bob's car but, could be someone he knows. You don't see the vintage Carellos for sale much. I love the look of the side bulb shields especially the Hellas. Are the Carellos H1s?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I think the Carellos shown are H3, the thickness of the lens is the giveaway. They did make a H1 model that has a thinner lens profile and a different mount. Both types were available in fog and spot/driving patterns beginning in the late '60s.
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I recently found the following article while cleaning up my files. It is an article from Road & Track from 1968. Very interesting read for some "period correct" options back in the day. Sorry in advance for the low quality but the 100K file size limitation is a female dog.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

The above models have a fixed bottom mounting point unlike the later models. That would explain the attached article from Pamorama Dec 1968 which shows how to make brackets to mount what was available back then. I believe you could retain non-cutout grills with this solution.
    To ME (and probably only ME), and as I mentioned earlier, I find it interesting what owners did back in the day. With the combined articles, SWB guys can re-create a "period correct" look without breaking the bank.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Lighting options

Hi Bob,

First, interesting article but I don't see Porsche OEM Hella lights covered.

I've seen a bunch of R Gruppe guys who have very nicely cut grills for the lights-it is a lot of work to make them look good and then if you want "factory" you are going to have to rechome. Like lots of things, if you factor in your labor (and possible rechrome-you could use paint) it is going to be expensive. "Correct" (R Gruppe ignore) Hella Fogs aren't too much but true Hella driving lights will be more and Porsche OEM ones even more.
    Personally, I literally looked for two years to find a drivers side grill with cutout. Here is a secret: believe it or not, the behind the grill brackets are STILL available from Porsche, they have LOTS in Germany. Not so the grills or lights, of course.

-Allen-
    PS Now for my plug: still looking for foglight wiring harness from, probably 911L or, less likely S or SWB with foglight option: harness goes from dash switch to yellow relay (68L) above fuse box, and to fuse box too. Two white/yellow, one orange(yellow) and one brown in harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E
    First, interesting article but I don't see Porsche OEM Hella lights covered.
    Allen - that is exactly my point. My goal was to demonstrate alternative "period" (not factory) options from dated 1968 resources. IMO, a lot of these historic SWB cars ran everything BUT Porsche OEM Hella lights and did NOT utilize factory mounting brackets. I simply was trying to pull from the same sources they did "back in the day".

I did make a set of grills. It took a long time but I thought they came out great.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com