Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger door mirror

Passenger door mirror

So It has come to decision time on my 69 body resto. My car has a passenger door outside mirror. It is located in the same spot on the door as the drivers side mirror. Unfortunately, you can not even see the passenger door mirror from the drivers seat. I am not sure if this is the original position for the mirror, or whether a PO had put this on thinking the left and right should be symmetrical.

This is why I come to you... leave it symmetrical and unusable for the driver? or reposition it?

The metal work is all done and the car will be going in for primer on friday.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Reposition it.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

weld it over and go with single driver door mirror as Porsche designed.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Joe,
    Your passenger door mirror was put on incorrectly...most likely by a previous owner. Many people mounted the passenger door mirror in exactly the same position as the driver door mirror...thinking that must be correct. Then they found out you can't see out of it in that position. You have a couple of choices. 1. weld up the holes and go with only a driver's side mirror...or 2. if you want a passenger door mirror...move it back until you can see out of it from the driver's seat and drill new holes.

Don't worry about undoing something the "factory did". They didn't mount it that way...someone else did.

Rich

My mirror - 69E

Hey my passenger mirror is the same way. It's mounted too far foward in the same position as the drivers side (can't see a thing, unless your in the passenger seat), but I would argue the suggestion that it's not factory original only because as I examine the mounting from inside the door . . . if it's not factory original than the PO did some magic on the DIY. Mounting holes are perfect, with rubber plugs and proper support for the bolts to seat when tightened down (ie. not locking down on the inside of the door skin).

How's yours mounted . . . Nice and clean too? I think it's a factory job.

Tom

The Talbot on the fender opposite the drive is a cool period look...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

For whats it's worth. Clean it up and delete that mother!
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Even if you relocate the mirror, you will probably find you cannot adjust it properly to see anything. This is a problem some of our members have seen on RHD cars here in Australia when trying to fit a passenger side mirror.

I guess it depends if you can get a mirror which has more adjustment that is required for the greater angle it needs to be one. its my understanding that some of the repro mirrors dont have sufficient clearance around the swivel and cannot be angled enough to be of any use.

Delete the mirror - anyway, its much more inportant to pay attention to where you are going than where you have been......
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

What you have on your car is not a factory mounted passenger side mirror. AFAIK the factory did not install passenger mirrors on early cars.

Instead, a PO installed the mirror in what are the factory holes for a right hand drive driver's mirror. The factory made the same doors for the entire world, so therefore our cars have what looks like a mounting position for passenger mirrors.

I "think" the factory could have installed a passenger side mirror to a car albeit the mount would have been farther rearward and the mirror had a more convex mirror than driver mirror. Not 100% sure maybe someone knows ...
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser