Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.2S Engine Rebuild Opinions Wanted

2.2S Engine Rebuild Opinions Wanted

I have decided to have my engine rebuilt in my '71S Coupe. Since this engine has a fine reputation with the classic pull and sound coming in at 5200 RPM's or so, my initial thought is to just rebuild it exactly stock.

However there is one option that has me thinking. It is to drop in 2.4/2.7 crank and rods that would turn it into a 2.4. This would bump the HP and help in the low end I am pretty sure. I have been told it would not effect any of the splendid high end of the original 2.2 due to the high compression.

The down side may be resale value (not that I can ever sell it at this point), although the case is original, of course, and everything will be done to a very high standard?
    I know a similar question was asked a year or two ago, but I thought there could be some new opinions on this.

2.2 stock .... or bumped to 2.4?

Many thanks,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Leave it alone......the 2.2S is one of the greatest engines of all time......

Maybe try the Elgin Mod-S cam.......they seem to help the bottom end a bit.

Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

agreed....

The 2.2 is a two year only engine. The most rare and best motor is the '71. Case squirters were added from '70. There are very low production numbers for '71 911S coupes. Please look it up. 2.4's do not spin up wonderfuly with performance or sound like the two two. Keep your car original...you will lessen the value if you do not.

If you must rebuild...perform that operation to stock specs. Even more imortant for such a wonderful car as the "guard rail special" Another option may be to purchase another motor and keep your two two orignal.

Or, you can sell the car to me. Shawn.

Additionally: I recommend that you have that engine rebuilt at Becks Independent here in Phoenix. Frank Beck rebuilt my 2.2 T and it rocks. Please come to SLO CA in May and you are welcome to drive my car. Frank Beck (602-997-6572) builds a nice engine. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Why change perfection?
    Maybe you are questioning going with something more than a stock 2.2S engine because yours is tired. I owned my 70' 2.2S for 2 years and NEVER felt like it wasn't enough. Maybe you just keep the motor below 5k rev's too much....
    IMHO the 2.2S is the best of all early 911 engines. Don't change anything, not even slight modification of the S cams. Why monkey with perfection? Sure, there is lots more hp on other motors that came after the 2.2S, and way more low end torque to be found, but nothing compares to the 2.2S engine for pure high reving street fun. If anything, look to lighten the car. If you have factory sport seats, pull that expensive deadweight out and drop in a pair of "Vintageseats" 911ST seats. There is 50lbs of saved weight right there. Better yet, keep the passenger seat area empty and make it 60 lbs saved. And try to drive alone. Less weight (and less noise ).Seats can always be dropped back in down the road when you want the car switched back to original again. Take the spare out, and bring your AAA card wherever you drive. Another 20 lbs saved....
    I miss my 70S...

Tough call. I guess for me it would come down to intended use.

If most of your driving is in the city on a regular basis then a 2.2S can be difficult to enjoy in that enviroment. It's kind of like keeping a greyhound as a pet in an apartment.

A 2.4S would be easier to manage in the city but really neither is ideal for the city. A 3.6 Tiptronic is a much better choice, specially in heavy stop and go traffic.

If on the otherhand the car is just used primarily for sport driving in the form of canyon runs, track or drivers ed then winding up that lil' 2.2S scores big points for grin factor. The 2.4S is equally fun just a little different.

In short I guess my point is the 2.2S is not a do everything car nor is the 2.4S for that matter so if your seeking more low end torque for street purposes i don't think the 2.4 will do it for you. I think you have to get up to atleast 2.7 before you notice a substantial difference in low end torque and if that's what your after why stop there.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Well...

Gruen911 said it better than I did.

"IMHO the 2.2S is the best of all early 911 engines."

There it is. I agree.

Ah, adding lightness. Convert to a single battery. Remove the useless induction fan and any music works. There is 12 lbs easy. Keep the spare and the tool kit handy tho. Eat more salads. Your car will be faster for certain.

Oh, and "what part can you remove to make you car faster and quieter?" "the passenger seat"

...is my line.Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Gruen911 said it better than I did.

"IMHO the 2.2S is the best of all early 911 engines."

There it is. I agree.

Oh, and "what part can you remove to make you car faster and quieter?" "the passenger seat"

...is my line. Shawn.
    Shawn,
    That's true. I do remember you writing that once. Let me make an addendum to that by adding that the noise coefficient drops even further if the person next to you is your wife/g'friend
    My "ex" used to pinch me when she thought I was going to fast in my 70S. I had alot of marks on my right arm....
    She loved our 72 bronco though when we lived on the west coast - and she was german. In her mind it was the ultimate rig. She was right. I see a lot of old Land Rovers now on the streets of Munich. An early Ford Bronco with the 302 V8 would run these over for breakfast.
    We brought the bronco back to NYC with us when we moved, and the day after a big blizzard hit the city, there were mounds of snow where the bulldozers had plowed. There were no open parking spots on the street, so I dropped it into 4x4 and dparked it up on one of the mounds, and hung a For Sale sign in the window.I got 10 calls in less than 24 hours. The car sold in 2 days. But I digress....

keep it 2.2

Tom,

Ask for an opinon, everyone will give it to you

Mine is to keep it 2.2 . Your car is pretty special, year, color, options, etc. Keep it Factory.

I have a 2.2 S, 2.4 S, and the 2.9 Twin Plug. ALL 3 are unique. There REALLY is nothing like the torque of the 2.2 mated to the 901 trans. However, it is NOT a good city/traffic driver.

I'll be at Cars and Coffee, Saturday the 23rd. I'll drive the Targa, then you can drive the Targa, compare for yourself. If you cannot wait, PM me your phone number, we can meet before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Eh - Me Boy! What Ray said, keep that little gem as is!
    Just too damn sweet to mess with.
    Want a 2.4? We can work out a trade!

You guys comin' out for Auto Prom?
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Hello: Install the 2.4 crank and go. The 2.4 can pull alot stronger than the 2.2 and is easier to drive fast. It will not hurt the value, how will the buyer know it has a 2.4 crank? If you think he will, give him the 2.2 crank. The 2.4 is a great little engine and if done right has almost as much power as the 2.7 RS. I like the 2.2 engine and it works very well, hell I like all the engines I just think some are a little nicer than others. You will love the extra torque! Thanks Eric