Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dimensions for R-style decklid hinges?

Just an update. I'm working on getting a set of the hinges made up for myself. I'm still firming things up on sourcing the machining services, but if it all works out, looks like I could make a number of sets at an marginal cost. I have a friend with a CNC machine. All the work is upfront for CNC machining in inputting the design apparently. So, if anyone is interested, I could probably make sets for others. I'm guessing the price would be substantially less than $150.
    '73.5T -- ST replica project
    Member #1045

What material/finish were you thinking of ?

I had 3 small batches made up in the past - 2 in 'raw' (unpolished) stainless steel & another in Nickel-plated mild steel.

Depending on price, I could be interested in 6 pairs (if that's not considered being too greedy !).

Keep us posted.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Hi Andy,

Not greedy, the more the merrier. It's not set in stone, but I was thinking of raw stainless -- 2 mm thick. But, I'm open to suggestion.

Tracy
    Member #1045

Just a reminder I still have hinges in stock. The blanks are made on a swiss EDM machine, formed in dedicated form tooling, and the 2 components are tab inserted into each other and roset welded from the back in addition to the standard welding on the face.

Erich

Erich's hinges are very nice. Ya might wanna save yourself the hassle and just get a set before he runs out.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Thanks Paul, making formed metal parts like this is my day job! (www.stamping.com) I will make more after these to recover the cost of the tooling that was made. I am also making some for 356's right now.

Erich

I'm very happy that Erich has taken the initiative to keep these on the market. I went back to my manufacturer to see about a 2nd run and they balked. This is not an easy project once one gets into the little nuances of the seemingly "simple" hinges. I second the comment to just source them from Erich.

What's the chance

Hello Erich What would be the chance on when you make your next run that I could get just the lid half of your hinge. I was going to pick up a set of your hinges. It would be nice to be able to swap out the Ducktail and a standard lid just by pulling the hinge pin. The Ducktail is a lot of drag for the long runs.
    Bill
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Hi Bill,

I can supply a extra lid side no problem. 2 lid sides would be $75. I have them currently.

Erich

As usual, I appreciate your perspective Milt. Like you, part of the fun of a project for me is in getting involved and doing more than sourcing some choice parts and installing them. The joy is in the journey. I'll continue to update the thread as I progress. If I can manage to source parts and make a quality set of hinges, all the better. Perhaps I can offset the cost by helping a few folks looking for hinges get them for a more competitive price along the way. If not, not a tremendous loss. I'm not knocking Erich's work.
    Member #1045