Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorted, well-optioned, rust-free '73E FS

Sorted, well-optioned, rust-free '73E FS

Hi All,

Fantasy Junction is offering the following car for sale:

This particular car was imported from Germany in 1984, and the comes with a binder full of receipts since then. It has 153,048 km from new, and all gauges and switches are metric and in German. Factory with sunroof, leather interior, and extremely rare and desirable Blaupunkt Frankfurt short wave radio. It is finished in its original color ("beige-grau"?), and has been treated to a high quality repaint. Also present with the car are the manuals (both English and German versions), the tool roll, the jack, the original steering wheel, and the original engine lid with `911E` script.

The service records are comprehensive and show the replacement and renewal of numerous components, large and small, including but not limited to the windscreen washer system, brake system (stainless lines, new rotors, high performance fluid and pads), front windscreen, and Bilstein shock absorbers. The car also has a number of upgrades, including Pertronix ignition, oiled Carrera chain tensioners, enlarged torsion bars, IROC RSR rear wing, auxiliary oil cooler, stainless steel SSI heat exchangers, Turbo valve covers, SC rear sway bar, Weltmeister fully adjustable front sway bar, adjustable spring plates, and dual outlet sport muffler.

In 2003, approximately 30,000km or 18,000 miles ago, the top end of the motor was rebuilt and the transmission completely overhauled. All of the valves and valve guides were replaced, as were the injectors and the clutch. The entire motor was resealed and Club Sport engine and transmission mounts were fitted. A new alternator was fitted and various other electrical fixes were also performed. The car was used in a few driving events by the previous owner, so it is really well set up. It has been corner weighted and suspension dialed in. The car received its last major service in July of 2006, about 5000km ago.

Cosmetically, the car is extremely nice. The paint is a high quality job in the original color though there are a few chips to the front deck lid and about the rest of the car from road use. There is a paint irregularity that measures approximately one inch by three inches above the right rear wheel arch. The panel gaps are exceptionally fine all around, being both consistent and tight, and the car is completely free of rust, both above and below. The chrome and metal trim are generally nice and quite possibly original, with a few minor scratches only. The glass is all excellent, including the windscreen, which was replaced in 2000. The headlights are desirable Cibié items and the front and rear turn indicator lenses are the European types. The rubber trim around the windows and bumpers is all in excellent order throughout. The wheels are the ATS `cookie cutter` types and have been beautifully refinished in gloss black with silver rims.

The interior is extremely nice as well. The seats appear to be the original leather and have survived beautifully. They were recently restuffed so they feel like new. Three-point seatbelts are fitted for both front seats. The dashboard is almost faultless, being free from cracks and discoloration, and the gauges are excellent. The car is currently fitted with a three-spoke Momo steering wheel, and the original is included. The shift knob is a Sparco item. The carpets, headliner and trim are all in excellent condition. The dome lights work as they should, as do the door pockets, though the metal trim on the left one is missing. A set of black rubber-backed overmats has been fitted and the front ones are embroidered with `PORSCHE` script. The heater, clock, sunroof, latches, and gauges all work properly.

The engine compartment is clean and tidy, but not detailed. Much of the injection system has been refurbished and a compression check was performed in December of 2006 and was found to be at 125psi across the board. The car was tuned on dynamometer and the sheets are included, indicating 160hp at the wheels. The trunk is in excellent rust-free condition though the carpets do have some light staining. The car was recently inspected in a comprehensive fashion, and we can pass along this inspection to prospective purchasers. It showed that the car is in excellent condition with good compression, very minimal oil leaks, and that the car is in generally good condition.

The underside is extremely solid, though not detailed. The motor shows many signs of having been well-maintained, and the front torsion bar mounts are completely free of corrosion. The floorpans are in excellent shape, as are the jacking points.

On the road, this car is an absolutely knock-out example. The feel, balance, and capability of the car closely mirror that of a Carrera RS. This is not hyperbole in any sense. The car truly feels as capable, sure-footed, and quick as an RS, and is considerably cheaper to buy! The gearbox and motor are both superbly sorted and sweet. The synchros work marvelously, and the motor pulls strongly and sounds great.

This is actually the abbreviated description but I've spared you all the explanation of how glorious 911's are, since I think we all know that already. You can read the whole thing at http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-...9262bba827d92e, in addition to seeing all of the pictures we have (as soon as I have uploaded them).

Feel free to contact us with any questions if you are interested in the car. It really is a good one!

Reduced to $35,500

Pix:

Current Porsches:
    1965 912, light ivory | 1966 912, slate grey/red | 1968 911, burgundy | 1988 930, guards red | 1989 Speedster, guards red | 1990 Carrera 2 RS clone, silver | 1992 MB 500E, silver | 2008 Cayenne Turbo, black
    Grande Project: http://www.themotoringenthusiast.com...featured/index

Wow,

I was offered this car a couple of weeks ago for $28,000.

OUCH!

rick
    reg #699

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche
    Love the colour! Not sure about the tail though.
    Yes, but fortunately the original engine lid is included.

A few more pics:

Current Porsches:
    1965 912, light ivory | 1966 912, slate grey/red | 1968 911, burgundy | 1988 930, guards red | 1989 Speedster, guards red | 1990 Carrera 2 RS clone, silver | 1992 MB 500E, silver | 2008 Cayenne Turbo, black

Nice looking car. I'd screw that original lid on it for marketing purposes, and the stock steering wheel if you have it.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

That looks a lot like my friend Chris O'Conner's old '73 911E. Is his name on any of the receipts? I think he bought it from John Lusti 5 or 6 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tom,
    Was car in SLC at time, Les does all my wrenching (airpower racing).
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    That looks a lot like my friend Chris O'Conner's old '73 911E. Is his name on any of the receipts? I think he bought it from John Lusti 5 or 6 years ago.
    Yup, he used to own it.

Current Porsches:

Question

Tom,

Can you provide some insights as to your friends old car?

Quote Originally Posted by Max (SD)
    Tom,
    Can you provide some insights as to your friends old car?
    Chris and his lovely wife, Lori, bought the car from Lusti Motors and started campaigning it in the PCA-SDR autox and TT series years ago, beginning in the G-Stock class, I believe in 2002. They caught the track bug and improved the car and moved it up to G-Prepared class and had great success, with Chris finishing second for the season to Jerry Sturm, a 30+ year veteran, in 2003. The original prep and maintenance on the car was done by my mechanic, Steve Grosekemper, at Dieter's here in San Diego.

While towing the car to an event late in 2003, they were involved in an accident and the car suffered some damage. I am not familiar with the extent of the damage and I do not wish to taint the sale of the car by a reputable vendor, but the repairs took a very long time, which may have been partially due to insurance issues surrounding the accident. Perhaps the documentation with the car shows the extent of the damage, I don't know. I do know that they never raced it again, purchasing a 993 C4S prepared by TRG instead, which Chris continues to track to this day.

When the 911E did show up again at club events, it appeared to be very well-repaired, with an immaculate new paint job. I took the picture I posted at the Zone 8 Festival of Speed at Fontana in 2004, I believe, but Chris was competing in the enduro at the time, co-driving a 944 Spec car, I think. Where it went from there, I do not know.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!