Thread: Interesting RS Article....

Interesting RS Article....

.......This Carrera RS sold for $334,000 at Christie's Monterey sale on August 17, 2006. While this may seem like silly money for a used 911 road car, I judge this to be market correct for this car at this location in today's market. There are several reasons for the price.

First, compare this very interesting example with the more numerous Carrera RS Touring, of which approximately 1,500 were made. The RS is a real production car, very similar in trim to the standard 911S of the day with full interiors and shiny bits on the bumpers and rocker panels. Today, it takes about $150,000 to buy a no-excuses Touring RS, and some owners with exceptional cars are asking near $200,000.

Next step up the RS ladder is one of the much rarer lightweight models, of which 80 were built. As you can expect, these models bring a significant premium over the Touring models—at least 50%. This brings us to the $225,000 level for an ordinary RS Lightweight and even more for a special car, such as this prototype. So the extra premium paid here seems reasonable for such an unusual example.

The bigger question to ask is how well these staggering prices will hold up in the next five to ten years, and if the Carrera RS and all other early 911 cars (1965–73) will retain their rapidly accelerating values. Less than ten years ago you could buy a rather good RS for about $45,000, and they frequently came to auction at those prices and flopped. These have been heady years for the early 911 crowd, led, as it should be, by the RS, as the last and best of the breed......

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profi...man/index.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-71S

"The 1970-to-1971 2.2-liter S with mechanical fuel injection is the absolute top choice. These 2.2 S engines are short-stroke, high-compression powerhouses without substantial emissions-control clutter, and they have a powerband with gobs of high-rpm torque. With their mechanical fuel injection still intact, they make a spine-tingling shriek as they shoot to redline."

Forbes magazine 7/29/03
    Email: http://picasaweb.google.com/sandiego...eat=directlink

We'll just have to wait and see if Schrager's right.

But this car will I think will hold its value as it it a very special example of the first in a now desirable, very collectible, limited series.

Mike Sheehan just wrote a piece in the current SCM (Jan '07) predicting the collapse of the muscle car market mania we're currently expriencing. As he puts it "We're due for a correction." Much the same as when the bottom fell out of the Ferrari market in the early 90's. Maybe he's right and to some degree I agree with him that $2 Mil for a Hemi'Cuda convertible is a bit out of control. He'd rather have Ferrari Daytona for a measly $225,000. Calling the Daytona "a gift from the Gods." But then he is a noted Ferrari guy, to each his own. I'm just pissed I didn't buy that near perfect Cortez Silver '69 Z/28 five years ago for $30K.

For those that get into this hobby to make a profit I hope they get all get screwed.

Oh well... Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chance...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

To me all this $$$ to-ing and fro-ing is but a fringe benefit and decidedly secondary to my enjoyment of DRIVING my car
    On the other hand we owners are in a pleasant position of sitting on a nice little nest egg when the time comes.
    I can't see this $$$ boom go bust for a long time yet - after all,it comes back to the basics of supply and demand - how few good early 911s still alive versus the clamour of prospects waving their cheque books eagerly !
    Enjoy this $$$ phase while we can - keep on driving in its finest form !!

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Wink up and down!

Working for Christie's, I've learned that something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for at a precise moment. Value often reflects desire to possess rather than just quality.
    Prices have gone up and down in the car market and we're quite high right now, it may stay as is or go even higher but one day it will come back down.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

It don't befront me one bit. My 71 will never see the values that have been posted around here and I don't really care at all...I enjoy blasting thru the curves too much with it to let values get in the way.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I'm with Paul, my car's value has increased but it will never hit the level of an original condition 911S price. And whatever happens, I'm not going to stop driving it or taking it to the track. It's too much of a hoot to ignore and leave in the garage!!

The difficult part of these high prices is for those of us that would like to have another early car, but can't afford the new entry fees. I bought my car in 2000 for $7500 and threw a lot of time and parts into it to get it where it is today. I love the car the way it is, and am itching to do another one. But to find another good and reasonably priced car to play with (restore or modify) will get harder and harder for the averaged income guys like me thanks to these higher starting prices.

My $.02.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

rs prototype

Hello

Intresting to see a thread here regarding the 1972 2.7S (rs prototype)

I'm planning a restoration / modification of my 1972 E to rs prototype replica, meaning standard S bumper, no ducktail, 1972 chrome lights and of course the external oil filler.
    This yellow car seems to be the only one of which I can find information and pictures (see also RS registry). Does anybody know of other cars like this and where to find information and pictures ? Were there lightweight prototypes based on the 1972 S ???

Thnx
    Kristof

PS : I dont know if it is this car, but there is a yellow 2.7S pictured in the 1973 sales brochure, lined up next to the "regular" T, E and S ! I'll post a picture here later on.

prototype RS

There are pictures of the 2.7 911S in the "Carrera RS" big book of the yellow car. And as far as these high values go-- as the economy goes so goes the car values. As soon as a big recession hits and some people find they have to sell their classic cars, prices will drop because few are buying. Just like 1990 to 1996-- I recall a average 2.2 911S was $15000, 911T was 7000 to 10000. This was 1998 prices-- a recession will come again, the only new factor is the baby boomers are in the market place for these cars more than ever so these prices may hold a little better today. But when all the boomers get their cars and there comes a bad recession --look out! could be a big drop in values! Regards Chris 70S Early S reg. #205, R-Gruppe #144

I'm starting a savings account for just that recession. I smell a buying spree in the near future.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330