Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 911 Brake Cooling - The Early Years

Big Confession

Actually it's a 912..........

But the front brakes are the same.....

Here's some shots from CSRG Races at Thunderhill and Sears Point. I get to keep very interesting company on the track!

johnt
    Attached Images Attached Images     

JohnT...just as I suspected....fantastic looking Porsche....love the color..
    yes that looks like some great fun with the other car makes out there with you
    what size tires and wheels are you using...are those Panasports

Thanks for post the pictures!!!!

John

I have looked at the venting kits suggested here that are installed on competitors cars but have rejected the idea because in my experience the backing plates always hold the gravel IN and never OUT.
    That is a good point for the more serious among us (present company excepted), but has anyone tried putting some type of screening, like a metal mesh, around the air inlets on the scoops?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Fia

We run a number of 2 litre race cars to FIA regs in Europe. We have a 69S with vented discs, but the 65-66 cars have to run solid discs according to the period homologation papers (#183 from memory?).

I think JohnT is being a bit modest here. After adding those beautiful shots of his car to my screensaver, I wondered where I had seen that car before. I keep a nice file for ideas of what I call "tastefully modified 911 race/rally cars". Sure enough, John's car and build-out was featured in a 7 page article in Excellence April 2003.

A well thought out, beautifully executed "912R".

Kudos!
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

15 X 6 Fuchs and Minilites in the various pictures (the Fuchs are lighter, but I LOVE the look of the Minilites. I've run 206/60-15 Yokohama AO32S (Great!), AO38 (not very good), and now have Hoosier Speedster tires (They're between the 32's and 38's and have an appropriate name). The Hoosiers are significantly smaller than the Yokohamas and therfore fit a bit metter.

johnt

FIA Rules

These are really difficult for me to understand -

I relaize there was a major change in 1966. I get lost whether the Porsche 911 changed from being an Appendix "J", Group 3 GT Car (1962 Rules) to an Appendix "J" Group 2 Touring Car (1967 Regulations)

the optional parts we can use for 1965-67, SWB 911 cars are

901.351.043/4.20 - Large brake caliper – front
    and
    901.352.043/4.20 - Large brake caliper – rear
    and
    904.352.401.10 - 288mm rear disc brakes

Now I had believed that these were simply 911S parts but hadn't really looked into it because the 912 has a different call-out which is

901.351/352.401.15 - Ventilated disc brakes

I thought posessing mechanical and driving skills were paramount for success in Vintage Racing. However being or having an excellent Barrister seems to gain significance each year.

johnt
    (who needs the 2007 season to begin)

JohnT

Thanks...are you using the 205/60/15 Speedsters also...
    I have not tried them...used the Hoosier Bias Ply...any feedback on the Hoosier Speedsters would be appreciated...

Thanks....John

Wink On Gravel

You presume the only route in for the gravel is via the scoop!

MY gravel, however, simply finds its' way in (magnetic perhaps?). Without backing plates, I hope, sometimes it simply finds its' way out.

johnt

JohnT,
    I noticed the very short adjusted length of the sway bar arm. You might be aware of this also, but if the effective arm length is too short, the torsion bar doesn't twist as designed. Instead, the chassis takes most of the load. This places added stress on the sheet metal around the mount which could result in metal fatigue and tearout. The solution is to use a larger dia. front bar with a long sway bar arm adjustment and/or added chassis reinforcement in that area.

Otherwise, very clean.

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images