Thread: Heat Exchanger MFI air tube question

Heat Exchanger MFI air tube question

I have a 71S 2.2 with MFI and I'm a bit confused on the air tube routing. I found this picture off another post who says its for a 73 2.4 MFI car. My left Heat Exchanger is identical to this one (are they the same?). The outlet circled in red is disconnected and missing on my car. Can anyone walk me through all the air hoses? I see the outlet tube on the top near where the heater flap box goes, and I have a large outlet near the rear which is open, but screened. Also in the engine compartment pic, I assume the smaller air tube arrowed in yellow on the left should indirectly go to the outlet circled in red (I think it passes through an outlet on the console) and does the other air filter intake arrowed in yellow go anywhere? Thanks for the help, Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Allan,
    IIRC the heat exchanger in the pic seems to be from a later MFI car maybe a '74/'75 Carrera 2.7 - the piping surrounding the exhaust pipes was smaller overall diameter compared to earlier MFI cars.
    Your pipe from the thermostat section on the MFI pump should go through the side tinware to connect with the red circle area.
    Make sure there are an inner and outer pipes to get the best effect from the pump during warmup.
    The inlet on the intake spout goes under the oil filter and the oil thermostat to a hole in the side rail to get some hot air into the motor again during warmup.It was a simpler version of the '73 MFI inlet air warmer.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Thanks Dennis, it all makes sense now. My car was running a bit rich, and I'm sure the missing pipe may have something to do with it. BTW, do you know if SSI has a heat exchanger that has the part circled in red? Every picture I have seen seems to have that whole section deleted. Thanks Allan

Allan,
    I bought some SSIs for my '75 Carrera with MFI several years ago and they had the MFI warmup pipe on.
    If you order these,you must specify for a MFI motor.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Your MFI heater pipe should be as on a 70.

The heat pipe should be attached to the outlet that is circled in green.

The routing is as shown on the engine pic.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Hmmm...... so what goes on to the outlet circled in red? Thanks Allan

That would be to a pre-heat mechanism found on '72-'73 cars that was attached to the air cleaner snorkel. That additional "heater box" was found only on those cars with that setup. It's sort of rare and you might consider selling or trading it for a standard setup.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks Tom, that helped. Despite what I thought, it does appear that I do have a 72-73 left heat exchanger. So I assume that the correct 71 does not have all that extra tin at all? I was toying with getting a set of SSI's and was worried about that component that they do not supply. Thanks again, anyone need a 72-73 left hand HE? Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox
    Thanks Tom, that helped. Despite what I thought, it does appear that I do have a 72-73 left heat exchanger. So I assume that the correct 71 does not have all that extra tin at all? I was toying with getting a set of SSI's and was worried about that component that they do not supply. Thanks again, anyone need a 72-73 left hand HE? Allan
    SSI's will serve you just fine on an early MFI car. They have the only " heat take off" you need.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi,

The inlet which Tom has indicated has the pipe number 34 (steam pipe), which connects to the LH side tin ware. This then has a small gauze over the top.

Cheers

Alan