Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 911 ST s/n 911 230 0056

1972 911 ST s/n 911 230 0056

Can anyone add any additional history on this car ?

It was ordered by an English Team in 1971 with a full "Sport Kit" to FIA GR3 specs for Le Mans in June of that year.

It was built well out of sequence but delivered in time for Vestey and Bond to take a 12th overall with it at the 71 Le Mans Race.

It then went to Canada where it remained in FIA configuration running in both Canadian as well as IMSA events in the States including finishes at Daytona and Sebring.

Additional notes or photos will be rewarded handsomely!

Cheers,

Bill Noon

Bill,

You probaby have this much... but just in case

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi Chuck,

Thanks, very much appreciated!

There seems to be no shortage of photos from Le Mans and I know Paul Vestey, one of the drivers real well as we do a lot of racing together still in Europe during the Spring and Summer.

I was hoping for some photos from Canada as well as Sebring and Daytona as well as any info on the car after its race days were over.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon

S ----,st, ---tr

Bill,as you proably know that's an S serial#,just like my blue canadian championship winning car # 11800988,one of three'68 S's legally imported into north america as a factory race verison,not for street use;sport kit II with race exhaust,100 LIT FUEL TANK,lh recaro sport seat,safty belts,talbot mirror.stabilizer lsd,dead petal,airport gears.
    I 've seen these very special and rare 911S factory prepared race cars refered as ST's or TR's;yet I believe they are in a class by themselves;in John Starkey 's R TO RSR, he refers to a ossi blue car, which I think is mine, as a TR.
    For what it's worth my 1970 911S AFRICAN RALLAYE CAR has always been refered to as an ST,IT's LISTED IN BARTHS "the porsche book"that way with the S serial #9111300683(I have the original data plate with tons of documentation).I THINK IT'S FAIR to refer to THESE FACTORY 911S RACE VERSION AS ST's............they are very special cars!

WHAT DO YOU THINK!

Hi Frank,

Much appreciated!

As you may have heard, someone kept offering more and more money on the 911R until I said yes! In a way I am glad as well as sad. It would have been criminal to have really pushed the car hard at the Tour de France, Le Mans and Targa Florio considering just how insanely original it was.

The new owner will preserve it as is while still taking it out for some more "gentle" events.

Obviously the reason I am asking about the "ST" above is I am keen on getting me and Charie a relpacement now for the "R" and this one has really grabbed my attention, especially as it has a legitimate period Le Mans finish to its credit.

Will I see you in Florida during Cavallino ? If all goes well, the ST will be delivered to me there.

Cheers,

Bill

Here's a recent foto. 24 june 2006 Mosport
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

And a few in primer pictures just for fun !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Thanks guys,

I just got a full album going back to day one from the previous owner.

My man on the inside was able to get me most of the information on the hand written build sheet as well as the 2nd (yes 2nd!) KARDEX.

Apparently the car was a pre-production pilot line car for the new 72 model.

The car was on the street being tested as early as April of 1971 with many revisions and changes before being "rented/leased/loaned" ? to an English team who had an entry at Le Mans that year where it was driven by Bond and Paul Vestey. The car was dispatched for that race with an "expiremental" engine of new bore and stroke ? It was apparently a 2.3-liter short stroke engine on injection but no other details at the moment.

After the race it was then returned to Porsche inspected and recorded as scrapped but obviously not as it was issued the 2nd Kardex in September and sold to Volkswagen Canada for one of the senior people. More than likely it was "recycled" as there was little damage or wear from the one race. Vestey and Bond finished 12th OA. From that point on it was raced and the history on this side of the pond is pretty well known.

One thing I have learned. The new heritage letter or "certificate of authenticity" letters you get from Porsche North America are a joke! They recorded next to nothing for the car. Only that it was European model in Orange and that it was a non-conforming model. I am trying to get an older COA from one of the previous Canadian owners that apparently has more information.

The Byztec brothers (Harry I know well) did a lot of racing with the car up and down the East Coast as well as Canada. I am trying to get some photos of the car at Sebring and Daytona.

I will have delivery in two weeks and am getting more than a little excited.

I can not thank everyone enough for all of their continued assistance.

Cheers,

Bill

Ready for the Hunaudières manu72S's Avatar
    Hello

Just an another pictures about this 911 ST from Le Mans 1971 race.

It seems to be Mulsanne corner.

Is it really a 2.3ST or a 911 2.2S upgraded by its owner ?

Manu

Apparently the car was a pre-production pilot line car for the new 72 model.
    Bill, it would be interesting when you get the car to check a few of the chassis details to compare with the 72T that I have recently bought with a 3/71 build date, VIN 9112100011. It has all the chassis details of a 1971 model (rear firewall, chassis rails by torsion tube) rather than a 72 model.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk