Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Marchal/Cibie rally hood lights?

Reproduction Marchal/Cibie rally hood lights?

With the exploding recent interest (and prices!) of these lights, I was curious what can be done to create a set for the "non-concours" crowd. I've been following the recent threads and am amazed at the detailed knowledge regarding these lights. I still have ALOT to learn.

Could a resonable facsimile be made from various parts for say, $400? I did find this set of repro Oscars for a very reasonable price.

http://www.camelot-automotive.co.uk/...?cID=4&c=65022

Could something like this be used and a "bucket" with plates made? I would like to use a spare hood and swap them occasionally for vintage rallies/DE.

Many people run H4's to preserve their H1's. This could be similar. I know I don't want to pay $1,800 for a real pair!
    That might even seem like a bargain in a few months...
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Someone told me Damon at Series 900 was producing a replica utilizing a fiberglass bucket. I have not been able to contact Damon regarding this. Sure seems like there's a market out there ....

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by hgarazo
    I know I don't want to pay $1,800 for a real pair!
    That might even seem like a bargain in a few months...
    Yup me neither. Let the originality freaks pay for the NOS ones, because I don't really care. A set of repros with some HID bulbs in them and light up the forests at night!
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

I spoke with a friend of mine yeaterday , who deals in Chinese stuff, about the cibies. He said he would see if the people there can make the lights, he thinks it possible, he use to sell porsche parts, but got out of it, still keeps the porsche, aldo i know of some one else that is trying to do the same thing, so i think eventually some one will come up with these things, i shure hope so.

I'm sure that someone (especially in China) could come up with less-expensive repros. That being said, I don't see these needing to be mass produced so I would be surprised that any entity, even in China, would go through the set-up exercise. I could be wrong, though.

On a related note, creating the bucket is only part of the battle. Then there is the mounting ring with all of its little special pieces, the chrome rings with the little tabs, the mounting bracket for under the hood and of course the reflector/bulb. Are there orders out there for 1000 sets? I kinda doubt it. Time will tell (and would you drill your hood to mount a poorly done knock-off?).
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I'm thinking that using standard Cibie Oscar parts with a custom bucket that mounts like the Pallas is close enough for most (many?).

I know Damon does the repro fiberglass engine shrouds. I would think those would be much more difficult to fabricate.

The market for these may be more than we realize, especially at a resonable price point. Besides the Porsche market, didn't many rally cars from the 60's/70's also use these?
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Plastic and metal w/o logos are easy to copy however the lenses will be something different. If Cibie/Marchall doesn't do it, whoever supplies them will get into trademark issues.

Just my $.02

Richard

Guys, the hard part to reproduce is the lens with the correct mounting (and adjuster) mounts on it. You cannot use an Oscar lens otherwise there is no way to adjust the aiming of the light. Oscars rely upon having a single bolt/swivel mounting point which makes aiming easy. Hood mounted lights are fixed and there needs to be a means of adjusting the lens aiming.

Oscar lens mount to the chrome ring whereas the hood light have the removeable ring which leaves the lens in place and exposes the adjuster screws. I doubt even the chinese would gear up to make only 1000 pcs of this special lens. Perhaps a special adaptor plate could be made for the oscar lens that has provision for adjusters ?

Either way, its a lot of work and cost and I doubt anyone would bother to make these and sell them for $400 a pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

>>>>Oscars rely upon having a single bolt/swivel mounting point <<<<

I knew that was too easy ....... on to Plan B. Thanks Phil.