Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chalk number

Chalk number

What does this number mean?

It’s written with chalk under the dash pad over the speedo. It’s not the production number that usually is written behind the kneepad?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

John

it is the correct number of digits and format to be a production number - (at least after the stopped using the chassis number as a production number in about 1969(?)) They were written with crayon on top of the dash as well as being stamped into the dash under kneepad

However, if it is, it belongs to a 1976 coupe on my understanding of production numbers - 1 for 911, 0 for coupe 6 for the year and 4556 for the 4556th coupe of any sort made in 1976 model year

the best crosscheck would be to see what is under the kneepad and see if it matches
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Chalk Number

It should be the exact same production number stamped under the kneepad below the radio.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

It should be the exact same production number stamped under the kneepad below the radio
    ...not always !

On a '69 911E I had the two numbers were different:

The dash crayon number is 1092826:

& the stamped production number is 1092823:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by J-P
    It should be the exact same production number stamped under the kneepad below the radio.
    on my '72 the numbers are the same. I seem to recall in another thread that it may have varied in earlier years?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

A '72 Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic
    on my '72 the numbers are the same. I seem to recall in another thread that it may have varied in earlier years?
    Maybe it's a '72 thing, then. On my 72S both number match.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

From memory the crayon number on the dash is the same as the VIN for swb models, whereas for the lwb '69-'73 models the crayon number should match the production number (stamped into the sheet metal below the radio opening) but this number is not the same as the VIN.

My point was that the Factory did make mistakes...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

you will likely discover the meaning of life or the fountain of youth before you will get that mystery solved
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03
    you will likely discover the meaning of life or the fountain of youth before you will get that mystery solved
    ..just guessing...:

"Keep in mind the cars were not produced in a numbered or sequencial order. When a car needed a special part it was moved off line until the part was attached, or rolled back into line after a change out of an engine or transmission. "
    (Quote taken from bobs67S post about the 64/65 production)
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971
    ..just guessing...:

"Keep in mind the cars were not produced in a numbered or sequencial order. When a car needed a special part it was moved off line until the part was attached, or rolled back into line after a change out of an engine or transmission. "
    (Quote taken from bobs67S post about the 64/65 production)
    ...yes..........but the production number is supposed to be "the number" that is allocated to each car before it is made and then carried on right through production regardless of whether it has changes to it, regardless of the options, engine specs etc - ie all coupes in made a particular year should have consecutive production numbers (regardless of specification or when they were actually completed) based on when the order was first processed at the start of the production process. In my view it is extremely unusual (but obviously not impossible) for one car to have two different, and very close, production numbers written or stamped on it - it does not mean that both are correct however.

It could be a "friday afternoon" car where a simple transcription mistake was made in either the stamped number or the crayon number.

I guess it is also possible to have 2 production numbers allocated to one shell, say if the car had been remanufactured, but they would be a long way apart

However I am aware of a car that started out in life as an "S", was used for various special duties by the factory and then, in a later year was converted/remanufactured by the factory to a genuine RSR. Its chassis number and production number however are of its original identity as an "S", regardless of the fact that it went through a complete new production process and was subsequently delivered as an RSR (with all the goodies but without the RSR identifiers in the chassis number). Porsche records however show both identities, as an S and an RSR against that number. The only hint is the identity tag has been stamped with various different numbers and letters that should not appear on the one tag - ie a chassis number from one year (unusually stamped in two different postions) and type and date code numbers from another year and specification of car.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776