Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rennshift II installation question

Rennshift II installation question

hi all

i''ve just fitted one of these shifters to the 901 in my new 69E and, before i go for a test drive, have a question.

for the 901, the instructions state that the bracket on the shift rod goes under the floor of the shift tunnel. the kit also came with a small aluminium spacer (approx 1" by .5") with two matching holes but no instruction as to where it goes.

am i correct in assuming the spacer goes between the base plate of the shifter and the bracket? (ie. under the base plate and above the bracket) - the two holes in the spacer line up with the holes in the base plate and also those in the bracket.

also, the underside of the base plate also had some markings of a similar size to the spacer and it does get spaced away from the base plate when positioned under the floor of the shift tunnel.

please say yes.

ps. also, let just say a bolt was dropped thru a hole in the shifter tunnel near the handbrake - will it eventually just fall out somewhere?

pps. as others have said - its a very nice piece of kit.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Ryan,

It IS a fine piece of equipment... mine has worked just GREAT

Mine is on a 915, however I believe there are both the same units just reversed (front-to-back) for the 901.

Anyway, after 'not' reading the simple direction 8 times I understood that the plate does go under the tunnel...

The very best thing to do is talk to Jim West and ask questions...

Call or e-mail http://www.rennshift.com/ He's a good guy and will explain the whole deal much easier then anyone else...

What I have found is:
    - All parts that are not going to come back apart should be Locktited... Bottom plate to shifter, the two piece shift rod to the threaded steel insert, and the little screws that hold down the reverse lock-out paw assembly (if your not going to run the manual setup - BTW- I didn't take the screws out, just backed them out enough to get some thread-lock in there) all should be thread-locked.
    - When it's time for adjustment, get a friend, one of you at the shifter and one at the coupler........ the final adjustments get very fine and critical.

Once it's installed right and adjusted properly the shifts are not only positive but silky smooth as well...

Hope any of this helps and good luck...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I had the same problem; it took me FOREVER to figure out what it was for...and now I can't really remember! I seem to recall that I superglued the aluminum block to the underside of my shifter where the holes lined up, but that is all I remember.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

The aluminum block should have been epoxied to the underside of the base plate which would end any confusion - I guess it must have popped loose in shipping. I wil look into adding a cut-away diagram to the instructions in the future.

Sounds like you have installed it correctly, and the lack of a glue bond now is unimportant except for ease of installation - as the two M6 bolts hold everything together.

Go drive and enjoy!

thanks james.

i think you're right about it coming loose during shipping. the rectangular markings on the underside of the base plate were probably the remains of the expoxy.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

WOW! just back from a quick test drive. even with the throw in the longest setting and the stock springs shifting is transformed.

congrats james - fantastic product.
    Cheers, Ryan

You just haven't lived until you drive a car with the original shifter mated to a 901 box. I love them. Sloppy smooth with no stiction. I NEVER miss but I'm never in a hurry either.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

tom

i don't mind 2nd-5th in a 901 but that 'round the corner/C-shaped' action needed for 1st bugs me. its now gone, 1st is just another gear.

plus, my car is now much easier for other (non 901 experienced) people to drive - as this car may often have to be shipped to events this is important...
    Cheers, Ryan

Agreed. But this is a classic "race pattern" as 1st is never used except to get the car rolling. I love a 901 box!

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The dog leg is the only reason I won't buy a 915 car!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389