Thread: Redman drives the RS Spyder

Redman drives the RS Spyder

There's a great article in the Feb. issue of Road & Track about Brian Redman driving the Spyder at Weissach last fall.
    At 69, he set the fastest lap (49.3) of all the outside testers invited by Porsche to drive the car!

I was looking through the list of cars signed on for the upcoming Sebring test days on the IMSA website the other day.
    I noticed that Rob Dyson is going to be fielding the only Spyder, other than the Penske cars, at the test. I know that
    Porsche had hoped for at least three additional teams to field entries, hopefully someone else signs on. And hopefully
    Dyson's horrible racing luck changes with his switch back to Porsche.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I liked his quote, something like "I used to be pretty quick when I was young".
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Brian Redman is still quick. He's the driver who brought the 935 era to an end with the Lola T600.

Jim, take a look at this article tell me what you think:

http://www.the-paddock.net/motorspor...iew/240882/93/

Don't you think Porsche needs to get on the ball?

Peterson/Whitelightning with Ferrari?
    Looks like one of my favorite teams will become a Porsche foe next year. Is Porsche really that short of top level drivers? Anybody here remember 1970 Le Mans? The Porsche roster at this one race included:

David Piper, Gils van Lennep, Redman, Siffert, Elford, Ahrens, Attwood, Hermann, Larrousse, Kauhsen, Rodriguez, Kinnunen, Hailwood, Hobbs, Lins, Marko, and others.
    24 Porsches, seven 917s, started the 1970 race at Le mans. Others include 907s, 908s, 910s, eleven 911s and one 914-6.
    But the cars need drivers. Great drivers. I think it might be time to expand our roster.
    Heres the link:

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/240945/49/
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net

It's puzzling that Porsche would let Luhr and Rockenfeller go to Audi, but over the last few years it seems as though they have been letting talented drivers go elsewhere. If anything Porsche needs to refocus and intensify their racing programs or Honda/Accura in P2 and Ferrari in GT2 are going to eat their lunch. Dale White pretty much says that Porsche forced them to Ferrari by pulling their factory drivers for the '07 season. It doesn't bode well for the upcoming season.

The phrase penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind....
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

My thoughts exactly. I'm a share holder with Porsche so I get quarterly reports on what the company is doing and with whom. I have to say the financial minds are churning out great ideas as the stock price has soared to over 1250.00 USD per share. Can't complain there, but my Motorsport side wants to see more dedication to racing. You can't race without great drivers. You can't get great drivers without great cars.

The way the Le Mans series is set up this year, the only chance for Porsche to get an overall win is for the premier class cars to DNF. Audi has a two car effort, so not likely.

And forget the 24 Hours of Le Mans until the diesels are put on parity. But I would love to see win number 17, wouldn't you?
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344

Is it the Money?

September 2006 Porsche buys 20% of troubled VW Group

June 2006 another 5%

November 2006 VW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder resigns after a vote of no confidence by the VW Supervisory Board. This was based on his cost cutting measures and a planned link up with MAN and Scania, truck manufacturers.

December 2006 speculation of another 5% giving Porsche outright control of Europes largest auto manufacturer at 2.6m cars per year.

New VW boss Martin Winterkorn, formerly of Audi, looks to be heavily influenced by Porsche, raising the possibility of an increased shareholding.

Management crisis solidifies the position of Ferdinand Piech, chairman of the VW Supervisory Board and former Audi engineer. Some are calling for his resignation due to conflict of interest.

Porsche fiscal year ended July 31. Their pre tax profit was 2.11bn Euro, or nearly 4m Sterling Pounds every day.

Porsche extends the contract of Dr Wendelin Wiedeking for a further five years. That’s his fourth five-year term with Porschesince the early 90s.
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344