Thread: SWB or LWB model?

SWB or LWB model?

Hi all,
    I am relatively new to the hobby and a member of this list so here goes a pretty basic question.

My restoration project started with a Targa rolling chassis with no VIN or chassis number. At least I believe it is a 1969 model.

How can I determine whether my car is a Short Wheel Base (SWB) or Long Wheel Base (LWB) model?

Assuming that the logical way would be to measure the length of the wheelbase; what would be the exact measurements and from which points should I measure it?, hub to hub?

Thanks in advance.

Rafael

Vin

You should find the VIN stamped in the trunk just above the left rear of the gas tank close to the right front fender. Check that and report back.

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

I think there is a VIN stamped at the rear of the car, too. Can't remember where, though. If the car truly has NO VINs, look out, because you know what that means.

As far as determining SWB vs. LWB, it is easiest to look at the torsion tube covers (the holes at the back of the doors, near the rear wheel well).

SWB:

LWB:

It is all about the spacing between the torsion hole and the rear wheel well.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thank you all for your responses.

From the pictures and the spacing between the torsion hole and the rear wheel well, my car is definitively a LWB model.

Regarding the VIN, short story, the car was imported to my country many years ago by the original owner. He had documentation problems with customs and was forced to register it locally using new numbers provided by our Transportation Ministry (not a common practice but a legal one since I am the third registered owner).

So the front plate with the VIN number was changed and the VIN stamped in the trunk just above the left rear of the gas tank was erased. The car was issued “new VIN numbers” that have no relation to the original VIN so I have no way of telling manufacturing information and dates.

If somebody is willing to help me clarify some of the missing information, I can send some pictures of specific sections or the whole car.

Thanks again,
    Rafael

P.S. By the way, can somebody please confirm if there is another VIN stamped at the rear of the car?

Vin

Remove the knee pad along the bottom of the dash, I believe passenger side.
    Let us know what you find.

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver

Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I stand corrected. Looks like the number under the knee pad is the VIN for only part of 68 and prior.

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver