Thread: Terminology Controversy

Terminology Controversy

I am involved in a bit of a terminolgy controversy with a buddy of mine and we have drinks bet over the actual answer.

He says a Boot covers the luggage compartment and Bonnets cover the engine.

I say that the Bonnet is always the front lid and the Boot is the back cover.

Obviously we are both correct when talking about front engine vehicles. The discrepancy comes into play when we refer to rear engine vehicles.

Any Brits care to clarify this matter for us?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe, I will take an educated guess - educated in that I worked for a British Leyland dealer out your way for a short time, many years ago.

I think that the boot IS the luggage compartment, not the cover for the luggage compartment. The boot is the boot, whether it's in the front or the back.

The bonnet is the cover over the engine. Whether bonnet is correct for the rear lid on a rear engine car I can't say.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

According to Webster...

Bonnet - British : an automobile hood
    Boot - British : an automobile trunk
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    For we so-called convicts (downunder) it's like this:

Bonnet refers to front of car where engine (usually) is as is "can you take a look under the bonnet mate and check the oil".

Boot refers to area at the rear of car where the luggage and assorted crap (usually) ends up as is "dump your bags in the boot".

Rear engined cars: bonnet is obviously up front, but we call the rear cover the engine lid. Confusion occurs when "boot" is used as most unsuspecting souls walk to the rear of the car.

Just keep clocking those drinks whilst debating...

Cheers,

Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au