Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RS Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman
    Yep! I'm in, definite. Let me know when.

P.S. Would'a been nice to have had a real RUF 2.8 RS there too, don't ya think????
    Or a factory RSR motor. But we both had to work; right, Stacy?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

no clocks, no times, no errors

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley
    So, like, who clocked the fastest times in this RS Shootout???? Was it the driver, the car or the combo that did it best???? Hehe...
    Paul, no one was clocked. No times, not even real hot laps. I feel that is what made it such a SAFE, fun day. No one wanted to go faster, faster, etc. like when there is a clock involved.
    Some members did drive other members cars, at very safe speed. I drove Will's RS. I drove it at a VERY safe speed. The myth about RS's is true. Jack Olsen drove several cars, so did Wayne D. No one wanted to wreck there car, or a friends.

Only Tim drove all he cars. He did not push the cars anywhere near the limits out of respect.

We will have to wait for the article to get his overall impression.

It would have been great to have a General Announcement about the day. However, the call was made by Tim to have a closed event. Wayne Dempsey had to honor that, the guys invited had to honor that.

The good news is, looks like we can get 15-20 people, EVERYONE invited, to rent out the track, midweek. John R., Mike G., you listening???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Track

The good news is, looks like we can get 15-20 people, EVERYONE invited, to rent out the track, midweek. John R., Mike G., you listening

Sounds good to me, are weekends possible, or does it have to be during the week
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Eade, we can do it whenever. Your RSR will be one the highlights. I followed you (tried to follow) around the track, awesome to see the car handle the turns, hear the motor.

Anyone have experience renting the track for a small group?? Know what questions to ask?
    Looks like we can start a NEW thread soon.

Taken from the Willow Website.
    C. WILLOW SPRINGS RACEWAY (2.5-mile road course)
    1. Reservations required. 50% confirmation deposit required. All deposits transferable, but not refundable.
    2. 7 days advance cancellation mandatory for all weekday events and 60 days notice for any weekend events. A failure to comply may result in forfeiture of deposit.
    3. For testing and tuning purposes. Current W.S.I.R. membership for driver is acceptable.
    4. For all other uses such as commercial filming, ride and drives or production car development, a $5 million combined single limit certificate of insurance is required, listing required parties as "additional insured."
    5. All organizations must conduct an event on the Streets of Willow Road Course before qualifing to rent Willow Springs 2.5-mile Road Course.
    6. Exclusive Rental Fees: Weekdays (January through December) are $2,500.00 per day or $1,500.00 per half day. Weekends (July, Aug.) are $3,250.00 per day. Weekends ( Jan ., Feb., Mar., Apr., May, June, Sept., Oct. , Nov.& Dec.) are $3,750.00 per day.

D. STREETS OF WILLOW SPRINGS (1.8-mile road course and skid pad)
    1. Refer to Section C, items 1 through 4.
    2. Anybody wanting to put water on the skidpad will pay $1000.00 extra per day.
    3. Exclusive Rental Fees: Weekdays (year-round) are $2,000.00 per day or $1,200.00 per half day. Weekends (year-round) are $2,750.00 per day.

Streets will be cheaper and SAFER...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

"The myth about RS's is true."

- What myth?
    - That they have a special, magic feel that no clone can duplicate?

If so, can you explain what it was, or what components of the subjective feel contributed to that?

Ray, certainly not trying to discourage, but you'll want to be careful for "hidden" fees when renting a track. I know the guys that run NCRacing. I think this link to average costs is pretty accurate: http://www.ncracing.org/cost.html I've talked to Dave about it at some length.
    '73.5T -- ST replica project
    Member #1045

The RS Shootout that Grassroots/Classic Motorsports orchestrated on Monday was arranged through NASA.
    1971 911E Targa

All of you 911E owners, come join us at The 911E Registry at 911E.org

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by RC70SCoupe
    The good news is, looks like we can get 15-20 people, EVERYONE invited, to rent out the track, midweek. John R., Mike G., you listening???
    You could check with Rob Wolford, he helped us with our last R Gruppe track day.
    The event calander for weekends at SOW appears full, http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/...ndcalendar.htm.
    If you find renting during a weekday difficult there is always POC, PCA and AROSC on weekends.
    I plan to do the March 3/4 PCA SOW event.

I'm interested in a weekday track rental.
    Bring your in car video cameras and we'll have something to watch with our wine during the May party at SLO.

Quote Originally Posted by RC70SCoupe
    As a side note: I will bring up the topic of renting out Willow for the day. Cost is approx. $3000.00 for the Streets. Divide the cost by 15-20 people, $150-200 per person. Drive at your pace, skill. Any interest???
    Count me in but its will be a little more than you're talking. Closer to $300 per person once you factor insurance, corner workers, medics etc which you will need if you use the bowl--w/o the bowl Streets is boring. I've been part of small groups that have rented Streets before. The other very important factor is to make sure that the group is made up only of guys who a. have on track experience and b. will respect each other.

My buddy Antonio was the photographer for that shoot. Funny, he called me in the middle and asked me how come I wasn't up there. Could have used a silver car I think...
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD