Thread: Chaparral 2E at Wurtsmith Air Force Base!

Chaparral 2E at Wurtsmith Air Force Base!

HOW IN THE HELL DID I MANAGE TO MISS THIS!!!!

October 2006 at the defunct Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda Michigan. This is an hour from me and I'm probably on assignment in that area nearly once a week. They ran the 2E on the airstrip .... the same airstrip I used to watch the B52s takeoff and land when I was a kid in the 60s.

Oh well, probably a good thing I missed it as I surely would have drove into a tree if I were driving by and saw a 2E at speed on the old runway!! He even hauled it there in an open trailer, just like the old days .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIAxk4KApk

(Weird, these embedded videos don't work in OT, but work everywhere else??)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcIAxk4KApk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcIAxk4KApk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

More here:

http://www.windingroad.com/videos/

Wow, how cool was that? It definitely would have been a Twilight Zone experience to be driving by and see the 2E out on the runway. I wonder if Jim Musser and the car live in MI, as I thought that all of the Chaparrals were in the museum in Midland?

The last time that I was inside Wurtsmith was when we got a tour of the inside of the B52s in cub scouts.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I think this is a 'brand new' 2E built from left over parts. On Winding Road, there is also a video of the car at GM's Warren Tech Center, so maybe it was in Michigan for that??

Curt, you are a vintage racing addict! Gotta love it. Every time I see a thread about vintage Porsche racing photos or any vintage racing photos, you probably started it. You must have a not to be surpassed collection of some of the best shots. God bless you, my friend.

I got turned on to it in the early 80's when my father started racing a hot MGA Twin Cam at Road America. Been hooked ever since... The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T