Thread: How come you guys never told me....

How come you guys never told me....

How come you guys never told me how much fun these cars are on track. Its been about 18 months since I got sucked into this whole early 911 thing (yes I guess I'm still a newbie/rookie). I've done a bunch of fast road runs (Mexico, Sonoma etc) but hadn't been on track. Finally I got out on track with my 72 RS Replica. This particular car has a pretty serious set up on the chassis side--monoballs, fully adjustable, 951 brakes, corner balanced and serious camber. The previous owner built it for driver's ed. So it was about time to check out what it could do.

I just got back from a day with Alltime Racing (website) at Willow Springs on the big track. I've been on track many many times in lots of different cars including some serious modern heavy metal. But today I think I had one of the best times I've ever had on track and maybe in a car (well there was that time in high school...). Even though my car only has a rebuilt lowly original 2.4T MFI motor with about 150hp, it was so much fun.

The way the car handled, could be steered by throttle, steadily drifted and communicated every nuance of what the tires were doing was just phenomenal. The feel and feedback was just awesome. I spent a lot of time with my foot flat to the floor and in a few spots could have used a little more go, but I gave a lot of the modern cars out there a run for their money, especially in the turns. I was especially enjoying rotating the car with the throttle in turn 4 and drifting down the hill. Only had one "oh sh!t" moment coming out of 5. Man what a blast. Sure I've done faster laps in other cars but not with such a big grin on my face.

I guess I should have known given all those cool old pictures of these cars in action at the track. Definitely getting out there again. Soon!
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Congrats Steve .... and we have ...

Come on out to the POC's 'Short Track Series' .... or whatever...

Some of us will be out this weekend...

Cheers.... and welcome to the fever...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yup.....

Chucks right. Along with others on this board....We have told you how much fun these cars are on track. But it's hard to hear this until you've actually done it. So glad you get it. Can't wait to see you out there some time so we can run a few laps together.

ACRA has a one day Wed. gig in a week and a half at Big Willow Feb 7th. Always a good time and for $145 (includes lunch and T-shirt) you can't go wrong.

Rock on Steve..................

CT
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Of course you have. Guess its time to get on yet another slippery slope....

I'll check out that ACRA day.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

ENJOY it

Chris,
    A comment from the old man's gallery... I haven't been on the track in a while. BUT...

The biggest mistake I used to see...and it was fairly consistent... was people immediately going out and changing their cars to work better and better... with little attention paid to getting the DRIVER improved. You won't believe how much difference studying the art/science of making a car work on the track will make. Ask, ask, and ask. Warning- at least back in the old SCCA days, it was not unusual for racers to give you bad info if they thought you might be a threat to them. However, ask and carefully consider the responses, and you will discover that a lot of people are happy to help you learn. It also pays to get good driver's instructions. You may discover that the POC/PCA/whatever have instruction as good as you may pay at lot more for elsewhere. Again, study and ask questions. There is an article in the current issue of Grassroots Motorsports by Tim Sharp about DS. Tim used to be a San Diego area Porsche dealer and used to run SCCA quite successfully back in the day. Worth reading. BTW, if you guys like the track, GM is probably worth reading. I like it even tho it is East Coast oriented.

GOOD LUCK. HAVE A BALL. And... keep the shiney side up.

John Rice
    maybe again one of these days......

Mr Rice,

Couldn't agree more. The best way to get better lap times is to learn to drive the car you have. It's easy to spend thousands of dollars on upgrading the car for bigger HP and better suspension, but the only true way to learn is to spend time on the track with better drivers in the passenger seat. Learn to drive the car you have, wring every 1/10th of a second out of it, then consider the upgrades and start all over again. These cars are a joy to drive, and will give so much back to you in terms of sheer satisfaction, and mastery. Most of the groups that offer track days offer instruction. Take advantage of it every chance you get.

By the way John, great article in this past ESSES issue. Can't wait to see that car of yours soon.

CT
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Steve,

Indeed the Big Track is fun. If you want to tune your car handling skills and learn what happens when you are at 11/10th's, try autocrossing. One of hte few places where this can happens and exepct for a bruised ego, no lasting harm.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Steve, I can't believe it took you this long. Welcome!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Come out to either an ACRA or OTR Wednesday event, and I'll take you out in my 911, and also ride along and fine tune your line with you if you'd like some instruction.

You'll be amazed at how much quicker you'll be able to get without doing anything at all to the car.

Click on the 'let's go out for a lap' link in my signature for a preview. It has throttle/brake, gear and occasional mph indicators on it.

You also might be interested in this lap, which has an inset image of the driver.