Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTS Nurburgring seat #1, installed!

GTS Nurburgring seat #1, installed!

Still need to take it apart and paint the mount system i made up. Big improvement over the tombstones that were in there though!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

One of my favorites. I had the corduroy inserts. Looks like you have a basketweave. Anything would have to be easier to keep lint free than that cord fabric. Very nice, indeed.

Thanks Zeke. The seat is actually comfortable which surprised me a little bit.

floor mats will be replaced with coco's in the spring. probably should have pulled the anti-mouse bounce sheets before i took the pic
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

I like them a lot more than factory sport seats. Mine also have the corduroy inserts. Nice.

It looks like you went the same route as me on the mounting of these seats. They really need to dropped down for headroom. Check your clearance for sliding cocomats underneath, as they will extend further under your seats than you might think. Or, perhaps you are already aware of that.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

Looks great! What is the best way to mount these to keep your arse as low as possible in the car?

I'm with you on this one. Stefan emailed me this pic a couple days ago.....
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Very nice. I need to meet up with you at some point so I can check these seats out in person (we briefly chatted about this over on Dorki).

Congrats!
    -Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

wow henry, those will look right sharp in the L. Will you be putting that Nardi in there as well? hope to see the car this spring/summer!

for mounting the seats i used 2 pcs of angle iron on each side and then mounted the cross bars on the angle iron. to do the job right requires a chop saw and drill press, neither of which i have, but it was worth the effort.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

I haven't made up my mind yet on which seats - that's why I keep following these threads I'm thinking either the Nring or the ST with side cuts for the harness. It would be great to sit in both to decide. Any Dorki with the ST? I'll probably want the sliders though.

I really like the houndstooth, but it may be a more "civilized" look than what I'm looking for. We'll see........

The Nardi is nice, but reminds me (IMHO) too much of the 356. Some would say the same for the houndstooth.

I went this route, a flat Prototipo I got from one of the other members here a few months ago:
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

I used to have a pair of Nring's in my '69. They are VERY comfortable and narrow enough at the base that they can be mounted between the rocker and the tunnel and get nice and low in the car if want to do a custom braket. I first made custom brakets that came off the stock seat mounting plates and then dropped down about two inches to a crossbar which was almost touching the floor. The seat mounted on that crossbar. Lots of headroom with this kind of setup (I'm 5'11).

Later I replaced the Nring driver's seat with an ST seat from Stefan for more lateral support. The ST is a much wider seat at the base. So to get it low enough in the car I completely removed the stock seat mounting brakets, including the slider indexing piece welded to the tunnel, and welded in new angle stock cross pieces (drilled for lightness of course) directly between the rocker and the tunnel, just off the level of the floor. I then bolted the sliders to the new cross members. You end up with very solid and secure mounts, low in the car, and a reduction in weight.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

kaefer any time, just let me know. Sundays are best through April.

i briefly considered a floor mount but decided against holes in the floor. i think a universal mount with spacers for height/tilt adjustment would be a fairly simple job for Stefan. i would probably be willing to pay extra for a more elegant solution than my own.
    Erik

Early S # 1107