Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Carolina Trophy Road Rally

Paul Misencik

2007 Carolina Trophy Road Rally

Entries are now being accepted for the 2007 Carolina Trophy - the American vintage road rally in the grand European tradition.

This year accomodations are at the historic and fabulous Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC and we have introduced a "touring" class for those who don't wish to compete for the overall podium.

We always get a bunch of interesting Porsches entered and 2007 is no exception, but we also draw vintage Ferraris, Astons, Jaguars, Alpine-Renaults, Corvettes, and more. So come on out and show everyone why the 356 is the best vintage rally car ever built! Or, if you can't enter, come on out at spectate. Better yet, volunteer and get up close and personal with the entrants and their cars.

Details on the event can be found at www.carolinatrophy.com.

Enjoy the photos attached, and we'll see you in September!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

$5grand plus expenses and support crew, spare parts, transportation and professional photos should be a nice $15grand vacation. enjoy
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Paul Misencik

It's pretty much all-inclusive

Well, it depends on the individual, I suppose. The entry fee covers hotel costs at the Biltmore, meals, mechanical breakdown crews, beverages, and entry into any social events or other attractions that the rally visits (tickets to the Biltmore mansion, for example.) Plus it even covers alcohol on two of the five nights (an open bar cocktail reception the first night and again during the final awards banquet.) It also covers all aspects of the actual rally, of course.

So above an beyond that, your costs would be spare parts, travel to and from Asheville, and any alcohol on the remaining three nights. But although entrants do have a decent amount of spare time, the rally involves quite a bit of driving, and it's not at all unusual to find people pretty tuckered out earlier rather than later! All in all, I doubt our average entrant spends appreciably more coming to the Carolina Trophy than they would taking a week's vacation somewhere else.

But again, I suppose it depends on the individual. Feel free to call with any questions...

Cheers,

Paul Misencik
    And remember, that's for two people!

scratch that last though...............
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

I went to view the cars at the end of the final days run on the 06 rally. A nice turnout and a great mix to look at. I too wish it wasn't so expensive. Any thought to a non-lodging entrant group for local folks? I live in Asheville and remember seeing the group returning from a run two years ago and wondering what all those great cars were doing in town.

Daron

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    I just registered. This will be my first year but what a cool event. Can't wait.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Paul Misencik

"No hotel" option

<< I went to view the cars at the end of the final days run on the 06 rally. A nice turnout and a great mix to look at. I too wish it wasn't so expensive. Any thought to a non-lodging entrant group for local folks? I live in Asheville and remember seeing the group returning from a run two years ago and wondering what all those great cars were doing in town.>>

We do have a discounted rate if you don't need the hotel. The cost is $3450.00. We always get a handful of local residents entered, like Lee Wilson, Tim Gallagher, Bob Selz... Lee enters his blue AC Ace, but usually also drives one of his other cars at some point during the week, all of which are absolutely stunning. He has a 914-6, an early 911 Turbo, and some other cool stuff... Plus, he's a heck of a rallyist - his co-driver Rory Murphy does all the calculations using only a wristwatch and pen and paper... Amazing.

Tim and Bob brought Bob's Ferrari 166MM last year, but they also drove a blue 356 after the Ferrari broke (funny how the only cars that NEVER break are the Porsches...), and he has a bunch of other old Porsches and Ferraris. And there are a few other Asheville folks along every year, none of whom stay at the hotel.

We do it as inexpensively as we can, but it takes a LOT to put this event on! It's not a money maker, believe me!

I participated in the 2006 Caroliona Trophy (71 280 SL) and enjoyed it a lot. Great people, beautiful roads. I understand there is a movement to get a fair number of MB 300SL's this next year. This rally is different is several ways from the Vintage Rallies put on by Rich and Jean Taylor, which cost about the same - $5,000. I have been on the Mountain Mille twice - once with the 73 E/RS 2.9, the other time with the aforementioned 280SL. The Taylor rallies are also on extraordinary roads. Their Mountain Mille is in West Virginia and Virginia, and one stays in a different hotel each night - Greenbriar, Homestead, etc. so it is possible to drive a wider and more varied set of roads. The Carolina Trophy, by returning each night to Asheville, inevitably limits geographic reach. On the other hand, the Carolina Trophy has (some) participants who are more serious about Time Distance calculations. But a fair number participate in both (although they are a bit close together - a week apart I think). Last years Carolina Trophy had some amazing cars, including an Aston DB4 GT Zagato driven Hell for Leather as well as the early Ferrari. Altogether a great event.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Paul Misencik
    To anyone who loves pagodas, Steven's is virtually perfect...
    Attached Images Attached Images