Thread: muffler baked paint

muffler baked paint

I am going to remove my rear valence panel (the one between the rear bumperettes) and repair the damage that the heat has caused to the panel.

The paint on the valence is showing severe heat damage. The issue is that the paint is cracked and chiping away.

I am using a stainless Bishoff muffler. I it is about 4 mm away from the tinwork. There is an additive to Glasurit paint that allows for heat damage.

My question is this: should I consider venting the lower part of the tin? If I do so...should I have that metal punched or just cut for 2" holes.

Stock piece of porsche here. Please help.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Heat Shield

When putting on fiberglass rear bumpers we make an aluminum shield to fit between the muffler and the panel. It is attached with pop rivets or nuts and bolts but I have seen some that are anchored using the existing license plate holes with a small spacer between the panel and the shield to prevent transmission of the heat to the panel. I'm sure this could be done with the stock steel or aluminum panel with no damage to the panel. Some get very creative with a more intricate heat shield using other materials. Your choice depending on the room you have to work with.

Doesn't Dynamat or someone like that make a mat that you can glue in? Or even the cloth material used for headers. Neither is stock but may be easier than getting louvers to look good. Unless you do a cnc cut out of the RGruppe logo on the back????
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

I used heat shield cloth. I got it from Jerry Woods, but I think you can get it from Summit Racing or Jegs. Went to Ace hardware and found industrial contact cement, for temps up to 300 degree. I glued it to the inside of the valance. I used it on 2 of our cars with the stock metal valance and a friends track car that had a fiberglass valance. Works great, no more paint blisters. I've had it on the cars for the past 4-5 yrs.
    Harold #334

Harold, I just want to make sure I understand. You put it on the "inside" of the valance, not between the valance and the pipe? So it works as a heat sink?
    '73.5T -- ST replica project
    Member #1045

I glued it to the inside of the valance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sweet

thanks guys. Shawn.bb
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

just back in from under my car...

I forgot that I double gasketed the SSI's at the two muffler intakes. (I once ran with a Danske twin out sport muff that allowed for more room back there) I reinstalled the Bishoff with single gaskets and now have more room to work with.

leecarrera, was your aluminum heat shield work vented? I like that idea and am now proceeding with the repaint. The bend for the aluminum panel is challenging but will be done to match the curve of the rear valence. Thanks alot for that.

Please see the narrow body 1970 911 ST that I want my car to look like. S
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399