Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Rod Ebay sales history thread (and others)

Hot Rod Ebay sales history thread (and others)

At the good suggestion of fellow board member Bob Tilton, I'm starting a new thread. Here you will find cars sold on eBay (or for sale elsewhere) involving "big non matching engines with lots of body work!". For starters, here's a car mentioned elsewhere:

http://www.westcoastautosport.com/do...ar-in00198.htm

"1968 Porsche 911L Targa.

This is a very unique car . A True Classic Short Wheelbase 911L , with upgrades to make it into a very fast excellent handling car, that can be driven daily. The owner has invested a small fortune into improvements in handling and performance. These include , 3.2 Litre Carrera Fuel Injected Engine, 915 Gearbox, 16" Fuchs Alloys, "S" Front Spoiler, and Later Style Factory Seats. Paint , Body and Interior are in very nice order, and it's an absolute blast to drive. This original California Black Plate Car comes with a full service/maintenance file.

Vin # 11860089.
    Offerred at $18950."

This vehicle was then listed on eBay. Here's the final info...

Year: 1968
    VIN: 11860089
    Winning bid: US $26,751.00
    Auction end date: Jan-28-07

Relisted and sold for US $16,088.88 on Dec 02, 2009

Notes: "1968 Porsche 911L Targa. This is a very unique car! A true Classic Short Wheelbase 911L Targa combining the best of both worlds. The car has been upgraded with a 3.2 Litre Carrera Engne with Electronic Fuel Injection , mated to a 915 Gearbox . So, you have the Vintage look, with High Performance Drivetrain. The car sounds and performs incredibly well, an absolute Blast to drive. The paint, body, interior are all in very nice condition , there is no rust, floors are original and unmolested . It is a local San Francisco Bay Area Car, still wearing it's original issue California Black License Plates. It was originally supplied by Felton Porsche of Marin CA. We just aquired it from it's second owner, he purchased it when it was just one year old. He's had the car carefully maintained for the last 38 years, and we have a full history file for this period. The car comes with it's original Factory Owners Manual , and Sales Invoice." "the 3.2 engine has been upgraded to a 3.4."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Great idea for a new sales thread. This should be very interesting - and maybe somewhat painful at times!
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    Great idea for a new sales thread. This should be very interesting - and maybe somewhat painful at times!
    I'll throw mine out as a datapoint, hopefully it won't be too painful...

1969 911S (chassis 119300264), rust free, decent gaps, nice interior, painted Polo Red as original. It came with a hopped-up 1978 SC engine: 3.2 liters (98mm p&c set), 10:1 compression, ported heads, early S cams, Weber 40IDS carbs, centrifugal advance dizzy, Jacobs ignition. 1978 915 trans with short ratio gears (AZ-GZ-J-Q-Y), 8:31 ZF limited slip and a competition clutch. Engine and trans both recently refreshed. Koni adjustable shocks, SC rear spring plates. Stainless steel muffler and collectors. 1972 S front bumper and chin spoiler, SC flares, 7x15 and 8x15 Fuchs, H1 headlamps, 21 gallon fuel tank with space saver spare, complete and mostly correct toolkit. Leather sport seats, Dana cruise control, SC air conditioning w/ dual center outlets. I paid $21k in June 2006 in a private sale.

It may make the purists squirm, but it's an absolute blast to drive.

Mr. Bill
    Bill Leavitt
    Early 911S Registry #1083
    1969 S... when it left the factory

Looking at the photos, that was a steal.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    Buying from a good friend is a big plus. I was concerned that he was letting it go for too little[1], but he was happy to trade off some $$$ for not dealing with eBay or Craigslist, no tire kickers or joy riders, no Nigerian/Western Union scams... Plus being a friend, he may get a chance to still drive it once in a while!

Mr. Bill
    [1] Especially since he'd had the engine and trans gone through ~6k miles before sale. The trans just got new seals and a clean bill of health, but there was a fair stack of receipts for freshening up the engine. But he got a good deal on it from another mutual friend when he bought it ca. 2001 (which I helped arrange), so I don't think he was very upside down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    I think I would have to agree with that also
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Thanks for starting this category Peter!
    YEAR: 1973
    VIN NUMBER: 9110120125
    WINNING BID: $40,000.00
    SALE DATE: Feb 5, 2007
    "...After almost a year of looking I found a 1970 Porsche (California car) in excellent condition that was my starting point to recreate the car of my dreams. The previous owner had just had the motor rebuilt from it’s little horsepower state into what is now a high out-put as close to the 2.7 liter that was in these famed cars. The transmission was also rebuilt and the stock 901 tranny shifts as smooth as a hot knife cutting through butter. Having a car this beautiful, all my friends were astonished when I told them what my intensions were. To take a perfectly beautiful car and tear it apart to make a track/show car. Off the car went to the body shop, where the glass was pulled out, all trim pieces were removed and holes filled. The stock narrow body panels have been replaced with light weight metal flares and the front end removed and replaced with a light weight fiberglass RS front. The rear bumper was trimmed up so the car was now to look like the RSL of my dreams. With all the body work done and the duck tail added, the car was now given a fresh black paint job, color sanded and buffed to a mirror like finish. The car’s next stop was then over to the interior shop where the head-liner, dash, RS door panels, carpeting and racing seats along with all other necessary pieces were added to build the car of my dreams! After the interior was finished, the glass was put back in the car (of course a new front windshield and weather striping) was added as well. Next stop was to bring the car over to a local performance shop where a harness bar and 5 point Camlock racing harnesses were added. From there it went over to the graphic shop where all the RS graphics were done. The car at this point looked like a beautiful women in a breath taking ball gown wearing tennis shoes. So there was only one thing to do...Off came the wheels and tires and the Fuch wheels were sent in to be restored and polished to a chrome like finish including the center caps and aluminum lug nuts. The rims were then fitted with new Bridgestone tires and the wheels were put back on the car. Now here’s the funny thing, I built the car with every intension of bringing it to the track but I gotta tell you, my heart would let me do it! So to preserve this car, and give it the respect it deserves, I went out and bought myself a full blown race car. In doing this I now don’t have any room in my “Garagemahall” (as my friends like to call it) so the car must go.

If you’re looking for a car that can be used as a daily driver, a track car or strictly a show car, I believe this would be the perfect car for you!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

There's a rumor some guy in Oregon his his 72S to someone in Turkey. How much did that go for??

Year: 1968
    VIN: 11805230
    Winning bid: US $24,990.00 (The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price.)
    Auction end date: Feb-24-07
    Notes: L Model; "1968 PORSCHE 911 to 1973 RSR

EXTERIOR

COMPLETE RSR TRIM
    STEEL FLARES
    FRONT FLARES ORIGINAL CARRERA FACTORY NEW
    GOTTI WHEELS WITH CREST CAPS
    PIRELLI P7'S
    FRONT 225/50 VR15
    REAR 285/40 VR15
    ALL NEW CHROME
    NEW PARKING AND TAIL LENSES
    H-4 HEADLIGHTS
    6 COATS, COLOR SANDED, HAND RUBBED, GLASRUIT BLACK PAINT

INTERIOR

ALL NEW INTERIOR
    SEATS 84-86 911 6 WAY ELECTRIC
    MATCHING NEWLY UPHOLSTERED DOOR PANELS, REAR SEAT, SIDE PANELS, REAR DECK …
    NEW HEADLINER, NEW CARPET, SPECIAL GAGE PACKAGE IN DASH, KENWOOD SPEAKERS AND HIDDEN GLOVE BOX RADIO
    ALARM SYSTEM
    PORSCHE CREST LAP & SHOULDER BELTS

RUNNING GEAR

ENGINE 2.5L, (20K ON REBUILD)
    HEADS PORTED, POLISHED, SS VALVES,
    NEW WEBER CARBS
    NEW CHROMED "WATERSHED" AIR CLEANERS WITH K&N AIR FILTERS
    DYNO DESIGNED SPECIAL DISTRIBUTOR
    CRANE ELECTRONIC BREAKERLESS IGNITION AND COIL
    NEW IGNITION WIRES

ENGINE COMPARTMENT COMPLETELY DETAILED WITH ALL HIDDEN WIRING

50 MILES ON REBUILT 5 SPEED 901 TRANSMISSION, NEW CLUTCH, FLY WHEEL, PILOT AND T.O. BEARING
    NEW KONI SHOCKS
    NEW SS BORLA 4 OUTLET EXHAUST SYSTEM
    NEW BATTERY WITH SHUTOFF
    RECENT BRAKES, NEW WHEEL BEARINGS

CAR HAS LESS THAN 200 MILES SINCE TOTAL GROUND UP RESTORATION"
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

This was a great buy; I'd replace the seats and wheels, with period correct items. I've checked into ST flares for my 911, the prices for parts and labor are staggering, proving again its best to buy someone else's completed project.
    Rob Abbott