Thread: Hot Rod Build

Hot Rod Build

More and more I am thinking that building a hot rod early 911 might be very interesting and will keep me out of trouble.

A couple of questions.

What would be a good starting point SWB or LWB?

If I go with SWB, since it is getting hard to find inexpensive 911, would a 912 body suffice, are there any structural differences between the two?

I am looking to build, slightly flared rear, stock front fender, rally lights possibly four in total (Cibies), vintage racing seat, roll cage, and an appropriate powered engine. I like the look of the Rgroup cars, especially the yellow one I have seen with gas fill in center of front hood.

Can someone direct me to what I should concentrate first off in purchasing a body?

911 and 912 of the same year are the same except for the motor mount location which is fairly easy to move for a 911 motor mount. or you could take a 912 and put a hot rod'ed type 4 motor (found in 914's) w/ 140+ hp and have a better weight distribution but thats just me

lots of people seem to be saying use a sound 73T because of weight and cost.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I ran accross a rust free 72 T with ST flares the other day. I went ahead and bought it with the intent of doing another project. I am not going to pursue it. If you have any interest I would sell it. It is a very nice car and If you liked the ST flares they are done very well. It is a total rust free roller. I have a couple of 915's I would sell one and I know of a hot 3.6 varioram for sale. All you would need to do is add interior and put it together. It would be a blast when done. The funny thing is if you did it right you would make money on it

Shoot me an e mail. Joe@multiconst.com

Uh, Joe, where'd you find it and...how much?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

the guy that is helping me import my cars from Germany had it stuffed in the back of his Garage for the last 12 years. It is 100% rust free with fiberglass ST flares that were done really well. The car is very straight needs paint needs everything but is a great car to start a project with. I am not sure what I want for it. I saw that Tom Fender sold his roller T with no flares for $12k. Make me an offer.

Driving characteristics?

I have yet to drive a swb or lwb 911, how will the two drive different, which one is better suited for a hot rod application. I currently own a 65 356sc, and a 996 coupe, will the swb drive similar to the 356. How can one best describe the driving experience of both chasis?

Thanks,