Thread: Engine stuck after 3 months

Engine stuck after 3 months

1971 911T 2.2, I dont know the history of the car, but I think it got a new crank/bottom end rebuild in 2003. There was a crank in a box in the car, rapped in some newspapers from 2003, one bearing surface damaged.

The engine was really stuck. The starter could not turn the engine(new batteries) I tried to turn the nut in the end of the crank but nothing moved. Then I removed the sparkplugs, and put the car in 4th gear, and put some oil in the cylinders. I rocked the car back and forth and after a while the fan and crack started to move a little bit and then came free. Then I turned the starter with the plugs out for a short while. After reinstalling the plugs, after some cranking it finally started. After 10 sec. light/white smoke, not black blue. After warm up it ran fine (-5 degrees celcius outside) I think some of the reason it was difficult to start was the fact that it has been standing without use for a long time and that the hand throttle dos not seem to work. I hope there is not any damage after the engine was stuck and then was "forced" free? Is this a sign of anything?

The red oil warning light turns off when the engine starts, but there is no pressure on the gauge, could this meen that the oil sender unit is bad? Is there one oil sender unit for the red light and one for the gauge?

Thanks for your help

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Could be OK...or there could be something really scary going on inside that motor now...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Rings rusted to cylinders? White smoke is heated water in the exhaust meeting the cold air (steam). I would venture to guess oil has not been changed as often as needed lately and on the last few runs it has not gotten warmed up enough to burn off the condensation in the oil/crankcase. After sitting long enough the rings rust onto the iron cylinders. Or, somehow water was introduced to the combustion chamber by snow/rain/other means???

It seems like a rather silly idea to me to try to "force" the engine free...
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Rings rusted to cylinders? White smoke is heated water in the exhaust meeting the cold air (steam). I would venture to guess oil has not been changed as often as needed lately and on the last few runs it has not gotten warmed up enough to burn off the condensation in the oil/crankcase. After sitting long enough the rings rust onto the iron cylinders. Or, somehow water was introduced to the combustion chamber by snow/rain/other means???

You say the engine was really stuck. So, force it until it does something!

Your gauge could be bad.,.there is one oil pressure sender
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

I'd get a pressure guage on that ASAP...the red light is your alternator not oil pressure.

I removed the oil pressure gauge from the 71 and took the gauge from my 73 and installed in the 71. THERE IS NORMAL OIL PRESSURE !!!!! I opened the gauge from the 71 and sprayed some WD40 inside, then reinstalled it, and it is working again. Everything seems to OK.

After changing the old fuel, it starts like a dream.

Now I want to repair the hand throttle. Where is it attached to the engine fuel system? Picture?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Most hand throttle problems are riight there at the lever. If you pull the carpet back and remove the lever, you will see a small white plastic peanut that ties the lever to the rod going back to the engine. In most cases this piece is broken. Cheap and easy fix!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Thanks Mr. Panzer, I will look into your suggestion tomorow morning!

John
    Early 911S Registry #931