Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 911L horn button question

1968 911L horn button question

Was the horn button covered in the elephant hyde like the seats and door panels? I ask because I acquired a horn button that is textured like elephant hyde.

Thanks,
    Mike

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grun68
    Was the horn button covered in the elephant hyde like the seats and door panels? I ask because I acquired a horn button that is textured like elephant hyde.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quick reply enabled.

Mike,
    Welcome to the forum!
    As you know the elephant hyde grain is a 68 only trademark for the dash and door panels. Personally I believe the elephant hyde door panels was reserved for the S model but that's just me. My L has basketweave door panels.
    Anyway - the elephant hyde did not extend to the horn button. Although the horn button grain is more course than the other grain in the interior - I don't know if that is the confusion. The center black part of the horn button is a rubber molded piece as opposed to vynl wrapped hard foam. It could be someone wrapped the part in the elephant hyde. Does it look like the "fingers" of the chrome ring have been pried open from the back? Does the horn button have the Porsche crest? Is this the hockey puck style or the butterfly style horn button?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I have attached a picture of the front. The tabs do not appear to be bent excessively but I can't rule out replacement.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks to be original and standard...and in really nice condition.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Thanks for your help. The one on my 68 912 looks more like your description above. I removed this one from a wood wheel that was is similar shape that had been stored for 30 years.

Mike

No prob Mike. I am sure the grain varies but not so much that I would call it elephant hyde.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

I don't know about that horn button being original. The texture of the leather seems a little different. Here is a close up of mine which is definitely original. Obviously, leather differs depending on the cow and the process used to process the leather, and maybe even the leather conditioner/cleaner used to preserve the button over the course of 40 years. How about posting a close up of the embossed Porsche crest. That should determine if it's original since that is the hardest thing to duplicate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

gruen911 - I think you might be right. There is a DEBOSS and EMBOSS difference between the two. There is a person selling "covers" out of Brazil I think. Grun68 - you say yours does not look tampered with? I may have to withdraw my previous comment. I will have a closer look at mine when I get home tonight.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com