Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield
Yeah it's interesting, I've thought a lot about what is it that make a racing formula memorable. Why do people have fond recollections of certain series while others are forgotten almost immediately? I think that in almost all of the classics there was at least something that was unregulated and that led to great innovation. Sort of the antitheses of the Grand Am.

Looking back through the years I think that arguably the best formula ever devised were the regulations that came in to effect in 1933, the 750-kilogram international Grand Prix formula. Talk about a radical idea, this set the maximum weight of the cars at 1,650 pounds but put no restriction on engine power or design features. What an incentive for innovation, and although Mercedes and Auto Union dominated this formula I think that it was more a lack of funding and commitment with the competitors and the uneasiness with the political situation that led to it's demise.

I think that a little more Formula Libre would be a heathly, or at least more interesting, course of action in most series these days. Vintage excepted.
Well put, Jim...I couldn't agree more. God, I miss the original (pre '74) Can-Am!!

Cheers
Thom Kuby